Thread: Slow startup times with Zone Alarm Pro version 7.0.302.000 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

wstern Guest

Default Slow startup times with Zone Alarm Pro version 7.0.302.000 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Hello,

My Windows XP Professional SP2 bootup times went from 30 seconds to 3 minutes
    immediately after I installed Zone Alarm Pro version 7.0.302.000.
    The system stalls at the blue XP welcome screen, and then once I see the desktop,
    the taskbar takes a long time to become visable, and the system tray boot items take a
    long time to load. I have a relatively fast AMD X2 5200+ dual core 2.6 GHZ PC with 2GB Ram and 400GB Hard drive.
    Once the system has finished starting up, Zone alarm Pro (Firewall and Anti-Spyware) run fine with very low overhead.

I've seen numerous posts on this board, as well as on google (search for: Zone Alarm slow startup)
    about this issue. But there are no real solutions yet. Does anyone know if Zone Alarm is aware
    of this issue? Are they working on a bug fix for it?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Slow startup times with Zone Alarm Pro version 7.0.302.000 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Hi!you can have a look here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=63883If this may help improving your start-up issue...Or you can directly contactZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ahyankharlo Guest

Default Re: Slow startup times with Zone Alarm Pro version 7.0.302.000 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

IM NOT REALLY AN EXPERT WHEN IT COMES TO ANALYZING THINGS.... BUT SOMEHOW.. "SOMEHOW"! I WAS ABLE TO MANAGE THIS PROBLEM....

MY OWN SOLUTION:::::::

STEP 1.... TRY TO DISABLE THE "ZONEALARM CLIENT" FROM THE CLIENT PREFERENCES ITSELF... JUST UNCHECK THE AUTOSTART OPTION...

STEP 2.... TRY TO CREATE AN "AUTOSTART" OF THE "ZCLIENT.EXE" USING THE "STARTUP FOLDER" WHICH CAN EASILY BE ACCESSED IN YOUR PROGRAM MENU (START MENU->PROGRAMS->STARTUP)...

FOR NOOBS LIKE ME!!! heres how to add an autostart program to the startup folder::::

a. go to the installation directory of your "zonealarm program" (C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm)...

b. now, try to locate the program "zclient.exe"

c. create a shortcut file(.lnk) of the program "zclient.exe"... doesnt matter where you gonna create a shortcut, either desktop or the folder itself, as long as you can access it...

d. "move or cut or copy" the shortcut file you created to this folder C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.......

STEP 3..... REVIEW THE PROCESS....

HOPE THIS WILL HELP..........

Thread Information