Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Startup?

hypnotiq Guest

Default Slow Startup?

I just bought and installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.302.000 and I love it! But I have one problem, my computer starts up quite slowly after installing, I am stuck at the welcome screen for about 30 seconds (befor it used to go away much faster) and my background shows but my desktop doesn't for about 2 mins. Is there anyway I can speed up the logon process because I remember when I used to use F-Secure, I had my real-time protection too high and it would slow up, is there anyway I can change this in ZoneAlarm.
    -Thanks
    P.S. My Computer: IBM ThinkPad T30 with 256MB RAM, 1.8 GHz Processor, Intel Pentium 4, Windows XP Professional, ATI Radeon Mobility 7500

Message Edited by hypnotiq on 03-04-200701:53 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Slow Startup?

Hi!you may want to read how the slow startup was resolved by this user:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=45951Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hypnotiq Guest

Uhmm, i didnt quite understand what it is meant by "disabling services" im not that great at computers so if you could please interpret that for me and dunb it down a bit that would be gret
    Thanks

Well, if you do not know what a service is, better to do not touch them :8}Here a short intro to windows services:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_serviceAnd here a list os servicesand related recommandation on enabling/disabling themhttp://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12Cheers,Fax

wwaag Guest

Hypnotiq.

I was having the same problem in 6.5 and found an easy way to solve this. First, in Zone Alarm preferences, disable the option to load ZA on startup. Then add ZA to your startup folder. In this way, ZA loads during startup, but only after most of your other "system stuff" has loaded. Worked for me.

Wayne

Of course wwaag... but pleaseyou should also warn the usersthathe/she will expose his/her PC to the internet up to when ZA is started up.The above is valid unless:- You connect manually to the internet and/or connect after ZA- You have a router/modem with NAT capability or firewallCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-07-2007 07:25 AM

hypnotiq Guest

Actually, I would like ti thank wwaag for his/her advice because it worked! I do have a NAT Firewall on my router which is enabled and when i startup (after putting ZA in Startup Folder, it starts fine, along with other programs and my boot time is back under 1 minute, fax I don't know whay you had me referring to all these complicated windows services and stuff but at least wwaag's idea worked.

Hi!from a security standpoint... its not an ideal solution.ZA services (to defend your system and self protect ZA) should be loaded before you even connect... In fact, ZA is protecting the machine at a very early stage of the startup process (just after DNS&DHCP resolving by the OS), these ZA services will survive even if you start in SAFE MODE.On the contrary, manually starting ZA, will not have these services loadedandwill expose your system to malware that can easily disable ZA and render it useless.That is why I have suggested those alternatives...Cheers,Fax

bassbone Guest

Yes, I've always wondeered about that: it always seemed to me that ZA was the last thing to get going on startup
    - and I had to take outlook off the startup list because ZA complained that Outlook got there first, before ZA could get its act together.
    Just to confirm: are you saying that ZA is active before it appears in the tray?
    (BTW, I'm looking at this thread because I've recently been having horrendous problems with another machine after a) renewing subscription and installing 7.0.362.000 - the PC just seemed to be wading through a bowl of treacle with everything going DEAD slow)
    Now I've seen this, I will have a closer look at the suggested tweaks - although I put myself in the battle-scarred average user category!
    Thanks

Hi!yes, ZA is active even before you login. Its running as a service. The service is called "True Vector Monitor".What you see loading late its just the GUI. Yes, up to when the GUI is loaded the junk mail filter is not functional as well as the logging features in ZA. Please note that many users have reported that version 362 causes shutdown problems, slowness and AV scanning issue.You should remove and install version 7.0.337.000. At this point wait for the ZA automatic update feature to notify you of a new version. ZA developers are working hard to release a bug fix release to 362.Cheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information