Thread: Will putting ZAISS7 shortcut in startup folder lower security.

wstern Guest

Default Will putting ZAISS7 shortcut in startup folder lower security.

Hi,

When I turn on auto load at startup option inside ZAISS7,
    my XP Professional SP PC takes a very long time to startup.

But, if I turn off auto load at startup from within ZAISS7,
    and instead just copy the ZAISS7 shortcut to my Windows XP startup folder,
    my PC seems to boot up much faster.

This may have to do with the fact that XP loads the programs in the startup folder
    after it loads the other programs and drivers. The speed improvement seems to come
    from the fact that Zone Alarm isn't loading at the same time as these other programs and drivers,
    but instead ZAISS7 loads after they load.
    But this way, the PC completely boots up and loads ZAISS7 completely in less time.

My question is: Will auto loading ZAISS7 by placing the shortcut in the XP startup folder
    decrease my security (because the PC could be unprotected while its loading the other things first).
    I'm currently not using a router so the ZAISS7 is the only firewall I have.

Thanks,

wstern

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Will putting ZAISS7 shortcut in startup folder lower security.

Hi!yes, you will drive without a firewall up to when ZA is loaded (very late in the startup process)These can have 2 main consecuencues:1. If you are connected to the internet, your system will be open to attacks2. Malware can disable ZA driversHave you tried to solve the startup problem with other solutions? Such as:1. Disable unnecessary services running at startup;2. Using msconfig to isolate the application/services creating problems to ZA3. Giving "Super trusted"under programs (program control) to applications that have the "?" under "SmartDefence".On point 1, see here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=45951On point 2 try the following:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and CA ISafe Service (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer and try the scan again.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    On point 3:Well,I have experienced a very slow startup very recently just after updating my system. Windows desktop search was installed by the windows update. I went into ZA program control, located at least 5 programs connected to windows search and gavethem "super trusted" under "smartdefence" (probably its enoughto set them as "trusted")... and the next startup was (and still is)fast as ****... no hangs or problems...Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

Thank you. I've already applied your first 2 suggestions with no speed improvement.
    I'm going to experiment with your 3rd suggestion. As an experiment, I'm going to temporarily
    make all programs trusted (removing the ? for all programs). Then, I'm going to reboot,
    and see if this will make the bootup faster. If it does, then I'll selectively go back and restore
    the "?", one by one, and see which one is the one slowing down the computer.

Thanks again for your very informative answer.

Bill

You're welcome...Other processes that typically slow down the process of bootup are the Nvidia control centre (nwiz.exe), itunes helper (iTunesHelper.exe), Quicktime task (qttask.exe).If you have one or more of these, you can safely disable in the boot up.... they are not needed.Cheers,FaxEDIT: and also Dell support (if you have a Dell)

Message Edited by fax on 04-17-2007 09:09 AM

lescomm Guest

I was also suffering from extremley long startup times, I had allready disabled everything I could and removed nwiz, ituneshelper and qttask but this made little difference.However, I then removed NvMediacenter, and my startup time halved, (although still longer than pre ZA V7 ISS).

wstern Guest

Hi,

I have Nvidia Media Center also.

Instead of removing NVidia Media Center from your startup,
    what if you leave it in the startup and simply change it from ? to trusted in the ZAISS7 security center?

Bill

Default Re: Will putting ZAISS7 shortcut in startup folder lower security (slow boot-up)

Hi!you can expect slower startup with ZASS then running without it. It depends on the power and speed ofyour CPU, memory available, number of resident programs.You are adding an antivirus and antipyware, web filtering, networking filtering, etc...This is normal and something you can expect from such a complex piece of software...Of course, this should not be 10 minutes..... and usually you do not need to startup your system every hour. Startup happens may be 1 or 2 times per day on a system used for normal tasks.It is sometimes also useful to have a look to the system eventviewer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427) and see the number of and the delay of loading of certain services. This way I have, for example,track down services that were hogging my system.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-18-2007 04:18 AM

Thread Information