Thread: ZoneAlarm V7 (free version) VSMON crashes

broadstairs Guest

Default ZoneAlarm V7 (free version) VSMON crashes

A couple of days ago ZoneAlarm prompted me to update to the latest V7 from V6.5 which I was running with no problem at all. I downloaded and updated to V7 apparently with no problems Suddenly I started to get hangs/crashes where my monitor appeared with only my background image showing and was unable to get W2K to do anything so had to reset my PC. This only seemed to happen when my PC was left unattended and with no applications running other than normal systray stuff. Finally it happened when I was sitting in front of the PC and the screen saver had not kicked in, I was able to see a message saying VSMON has had an error, on clicking OK the screen cleared apart from my background image and W2K locked up. I have been running V6 for many months with no problems and was surprised to see a failure with V7. I have read through many other posts on errors with VSMON but not sure if there are any with this symptom, and none I could find with a fix. For now I have removed V7 completely and installed V6.5 as a fresh install and so far have had no further errors.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a config problem or a code problem? I am loathed to go back to V7 unless I can find something positive to sort this out. My PC BTW is running a Core 2 Duo E6400 and has 1 GB ram with loads of h/disk space.

Stuart

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

bcollar Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm V7 (free version) VSMON crashes

<blockquote><hr>broadstairs wrote:
    A couple of days ago ZoneAlarm prompted me to update to the latest V7 from V6.5 which I was running with no problem at all. I downloaded and updated to V7 apparently with no problems Suddenly I started to get hangs/crashes where my monitor appeared with only my background image showing and was unable to get W2K to do anything so had to reset my PC. This only seemed to happen when my PC was left unattended and with no applications running other than normal systray stuff. Finally it happened when I was sitting in front of the PC and the screen saver had not kicked in, I was able to see a message saying VSMON has had an error, on clicking OK the screen cleared apart from my background image and W2K locked up. I have been running V6 for many months with no problems and was surprised to see a failure with V7. I have read through many other posts on errors with VSMON but not sure if there are any with this symptom, and none I could find with a fix. For now I have removed V7 completely and installed V6.5 as a fresh install and so far have had no further errors.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a config problem or a code problem? I am loathed to go back to V7 unless I can find something positive to sort this out. My PC BTW is running a Core 2 Duo E6400 and has 1 GB ram with loads of h/disk space.

Stuart

Operating System:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

<hr></blockquote>
    I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried to contact a human at ZoneLabs, but no luck unless I pay for the call. Some product support. They appear to have joind the ranks of companies that take your money then run and hide behind e-mail. Too bad to, I have been a customer for 3 to 4 years.

I am going to revert to an older version while they make up their mimds if this a problem or not.

broadstairs Guest

Does anyone know if this problem has at least been acknowledged yet, or even better fixed?

Stuart

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>broadstairs wrote:
    Does anyone know if this problem has at least been acknowledged yet, or even better fixed?

Stuart
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Please read the following Forum link on vsmon.exe problem Fix..
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...=207069#M20511---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:
    Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Home with IE7 MS Outlook 2003
    HP Pavilion 1025c Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz 2GB DDR2

ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200704.1435

Kaspersky Anti_Virus 6.0.2.614a
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support