Thread: srescan.sys causes BSOD

shamer Guest

Default srescan.sys causes BSOD

Since upgrading to ZASS 7.0 I am suffereing serious system crashes - the Blue Screen of Death.
    The culprit is the zone alram file srescan.sys.
    Before Check Point produces a fix for this serious glitch, does anyone know which part of the suite this file affects, so I can (hopefully) opt out of that part of the Suite until the techies sort it out.
    Looking across other techie forums, this is a widespread problem that has been around for some time, so a fix may take Check Point some time to sort.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

jimz Guest

Default Re: srescan.sys causes BSOD

Hi

I had the same problem. I did a clean install of Win 2000 Pro on an old PC of mine. After loading ZA version 7.0.337.000 and rebooting, I got the BSOD and reference to 'srescan.sys'. I restarted in Safe Mode but got an 'Access Denied' error when I tried to delete it from 'c:\winnt\system32\zonelabs\srescan.sys'. Nothing I tried worked.

I uninstalled ZA and rebooted. I then reinstalled it but did not start ZA when it asked me to. I renamed 'c:\winnt\system32\zonelabs\srescan.sys' to 'zzz-srescan.sys'. I started ZA and did not have any more problems.

For Win XP, the directory will be 'c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\srescan.sys'.

Interestingly enough, my XP Pro PC didn't have any problems. Go figure !.

Hope this solves your problem.

JimZ

shamer Guest

Default Re: srescan.sys causes BSOD

Thanks JimZ
    I ended up having rename srescan exe file so Zone Alarm can't find it.
    Whatever srescan does it presumably now can't do. I'm not running the anti-virus option as I have Norton installed, but the anti-spyware runs in parallel with Spyware Doctor and AOL apyware.
    My email correspondence to Zone Labs was ignored - these companies take your money but provide no backup when you need them to sort out problems with their software.
    On the good side for the product - PC Pro magazine now A-list it as the best security suite - asuming you can get it to install properly !!
    regards
    Steve H

Thread Information