Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zonealarm free installed junk email in outlook WITHOUT my permission

goatberg Guest

Default zonealarm free installed junk email in outlook WITHOUT my permission

i don't want zonealarm 7
    in my outlook doing anything
    it created junk email folders and actually moved a legit email there
    i want zonealarm OUT of my outlook
    turning OFF basic mailsafe settings under email protection is NOT getting zonealarm out of outlook!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:7.0

ddc Guest

Default Re: zonealarm free installed junk email in outlook WITHOUT my permission

Agreed. I have other programs it handle this, and I don't want ZA doing anything in outlook. How do I disable this?

uk_mikey Guest

Default Re: zonealarm free installed junk email in outlook WITHOUT my permission

Hi,

I can sympathize as I just had the same problem; so this seems to manifest itself when installing ZoneAlarm Free Version via the zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe installation file located
    as per:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...eeDownload.jsp.

I m using Microsoft Office 2007 and what I found interesting was that the very useful How do I disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for Outlook instructions located @ http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...essage.id=7982 and specifically http://www.zonealarm.com/store/suppo...audFAQs.jsp#18 don t seem to work.
    For the avoidance of doubt the issues I encountered were:

* In the bottom section that reads "Junk Mail Filter", click the "On" radio button to enable the application (No such option on my screen)

* Click on the "COM Add-ins" button near the bottom of the screen (No such option on my screen)

I have performed an upgrade and then a clean install and the issue remains.
    It would be great if somebody from CheckPoint could look into this as I guess there might be lots of traffic regarding this subject.

Many thanks in anticipation.

uk_mikey Guest

Hi Lars-Erik,

This is good advice, but I m not sure how to implement what you state.
    I think the issue here is the mantispm.exe module (Anti-Spam) as opposed to Email and from what I can see using ZoneAlarm Free Version, you don t get a lot of choice what you install, you just install the whole package.
    Somehow us folks that were quite happy with the last version of ZoneAlarm Free Version and the Basic MailSafe option switching, need to disable the mantispm.exe process, which by default is installed during the only way ZoneAlarm Free Version can be installed, as set by CheckPoint.

Is there a guru out there that knows of a Registry setting or something similar to disable mantispm.exe and therefore the Anti-Spam function?

thom Guest

This version is 38.9 MB. A big difference from ZAF 6.5.737 which is only 13.1 MB.
    I'll be sticking to the old version. Talk about bloat!!!!

Default ATT: Lars-Erik

Posting your pirvate information is a violation of the forum. Please discontinue this practise.

Please inlcude such matter in the viewing area of your member name, not in the open in the forums.

Best regards.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

raideron Guest

Not sure if this applies to you but..........
    I use Microsoft Outlook, and to disable Mailfrontier/spam filter, I can go here and uncheckmailbuddy outlook addn:
    In Microsoft Outlook click on:
    Tools / Options / other/ Advance Options / Com add-ins
    And uncheck:

Mailbuddy outlook addin
    which should disable the spam filter, Or at least remove the addin in outlook..
    Guess if your not going to use it you should also turn off the junk email filter in:
    ZoneAlarm main window / Email Protection / and turn off junk email filter...

uk_mikey Guest

Hi Raideron,

Great advice as per http://www.zonealarm.com/store/suppo...audFAQs.jsp#18 but unfortunately for my install of ZoneAlarm Free Version you don t see:

* In the bottom section that reads "Junk Mail Filter", click the "On" radio button to enable the application

I suspect you can perform the above if you have the full paid for version of ZoneAlarm.

However, for Outlook 2007 managing COM add-ins is slightly different to the above mentioned FAQ, where the path is Tools -> Trust Center -> Add-ins -> Manage COM-Add-ins (Selection Box) and Radio Go Button and remove the MailBuddy Outlook Addin .

This worked for me, but the above is only for Outlook 2007.

bddbrown Guest

Hi,
    I just upgraded to Zone Alarm 7.0 (free) and received this nasty surprise.
    I've been using Zone Alarm for years and was absolutely outraged that they installed this junk email filter without asking my permission.
    I have successfully managed to remove this completely unnecessary "feature" from Outlook 2003:
    Tools->Options->Other-Advanced Options->Com Add-Ins...
    Then remove MailBuddy.

bddbrown Guest

Hi,
    Also looks like you can successfully uninstall MailFrontier which seems to be the underlying package that runs the Junk Email monitor.1. Goto the install directoty - by default c:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm2. Goto the MailFrontier directory.3. Run unwise.exe4. Point this at the inst*.log file.5. Either do an automatic or customised uninstall as your preference detemrines.6. Reboot.7. Delete the MailFrontier directory that gets left behind.8. It does leave behind its directory in the PATH environment variable, but this is not a cause for concern.
    Why, why, why?
    Cheers,
    Bruce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information