Thread: VSMON.exe uses 100% CPU and gives memory error.

chhagan Guest

Default VSMON.exe uses 100% CPU and gives memory error.

The memory error reads:
    vsmon.exe-Application Error
    The instruction at "0x00f8863c" referenced memory at "0x207485df". The memory could not be "read".
    Click on OK to terminate the program.
    "OK" Button
    This occurs during zone alarm scan, and computer is occupied until you click "OK".
    Day before I noticed 100% cpu use by vsmon.exe in task manager.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

May 28, 2007

I think I found the fix. Take following steps at your own risk.

1. In overview preferences uncheck 'ZA load at startup'

2. Reboot computer in safe mode and look for the folder Internet Logs (in XP is C:\windows...) and delet all files with extensions .RDB ,.LDB and .TMP

3. Empty recycle bin. Restart the windows normally. Open Zone Alarm mannualy (from start programs) and recheck 'ZA load at startup' that was unchecked in step 1.

Note: You will loose all your customizations and need to rebuild a fresh data base, as if you have just installed the program. I found this fix somewhere but forgot where so I retyped it here. Hope this solve your problem. It solved mine since about mid April 2007.

Message Edited by Chhagan on 05-28-200705:56 PM

vode Guest

Default Re: VSMON.exe uses 100% CPU and gives memory error.

I've just upgraded to 7.0.337.000 and the same thing is happening to me, except my message says The instruction at 0x00f8863c referenced memory at 0x00000011 the memory could not be read.

vode Guest

I've tried a re-install and a clean install. Managed to get rid of the VSMON 100% CPU, but even after the clean install when I do a full AV scan sooner or later I am still getting the "memory could not be read" message.
    I've been a ZA customer for six years, and a user of the free ZA for years before that, and I've never had any big problems until now. Both releases, so far, of version 7.0 have been
    trouble.

pobstar Guest

I'm having this problem also.
    After I read this article from Microsoft "Firewall software may cause a Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio .NET installation to stop responding (hang)"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321434/en-us
    Personnaly I wont fallow Microsoft advise and I hope that ZoneAlarme will issue an update to fix that.
    I verify the setting in ZoneAlarm and desactivate the Virus Automatic Update and The Virus Scan.
    If you use ZoneAlarme Virus protection
    has Antivirus protection desable automatic scan and do a manual scan when needed.

Thread Information