Thread: ZoneAlarm freezes my computer and locks me out???

smaller Guest

Default ZoneAlarm freezes my computer and locks me out???

Like many others, I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro for a long time (since the Win95 era on 3 machines)
    without any trouble. However, since late last year's $65
    upgrade to
    ZoneAlarm's Internet Security Suite, I have experienced some serious problems, and things seem to get worse as time goes by.
    First of all, the machine freezes up completely from time to time. When this happens, it would take some 3 to 5 minutes just to open My Computer (and often just an empty window that showed up). The cursor would stop responding, and even task manager couldn't interfere. The only way out of this was to do a hardware shut-down or hardware reset. I have had dozenes of
    blue-screen-of-death with kernel errors, sometimes two, three times a day. This is especially prone to happen if I leave the machine idle for a while. I have all the Windows patches, and do hard drive cleanup/defragmentation regularly---nothing helped. The hard drive itself is working fine, as the SMART checking all showed flying marks. I dug through the internet and found a few posts on this forum that suggested disabling srescan in the device manager. Well, it hasn't solved my problem.
    The second
    issue is that I frequently get locked off the internet---again, this happened more often if I let machine idle for a while. Sometimes the connection became intermittant, but more often the connection got totally lost. Ironically, this problem happened yesterday when I was trying to activate my registration on this forum!! I added my DNS to the TRUSTED ZONE and it still didn't solve the problem. If I shut down ZoneAlarm, everything
    would go
    back to normal, and I could restart ZA and things often still worked. There might be a connection between the automatic update and the internet connectivity problems.
    About
    my machine:
    P4 1.1GIntel 850 mother board, no over-clocking or anything fancy640 MB RAMWin2000 (with all the security updates and service packs)system drive has 20G free space (NTFS)System is behind a hardware firewallreliable cable modem internet (I know the ISP side works fine as my other notebook never had problem connecting to the internet)
    Only ZA Internet Security runs in the backgroundZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070411215001
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200704.1365
    Task Manager showed 32 processes runningKernel uses ~74MB memorySystem CACHE uses ~360MB memoryAvailable 410 MB memory
    Overall it's a fairly clean system, and I have run AV check, Spyware check (With ZA) and Adware check (With Ad-Aware 6.0) and nothing major
    was found (only a few tracking cookies).
    I hope someone out there could offer some suggestion to fix my problem. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

lachlan Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm freezes my computer and locks me out???

i have much the same problem. i have my z a program set to run each day at 6.00pm. it starts ok but locks up part way through the virus scan. i then re-start the computer and it runs the scan programs ok. also, there's no problem if i run a scan manually. i have tried scheduling the auto scan for another time but the computer still freezes, so it seems there may6 be a problem with the zone alarm program. hopefully there will be a fix from za.

smaller Guest

After lots of frustrations with freezing and slooooow performance, and the lack of support from the technical people of ZA including
    this forum, eventually I gave up---Zone Alarm was uninstalled and one of YOUR COMPETITOR's products, McAfee antivirus and personal firewall
    were installed. The computer has been working fine since the switch, which is a good indication that the problem is in YOUR product, not in my computer.
    The latest blue screen of death, which was the last straw that crushed the camel, gave these error messages:
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEMAddress 804461B8Base at 80400000Date stamp 45ec3c8fNTOSKRNL.exe
    Hope this will serve as a wake up call to ZA that 1) there is plenty of competition in AV software field such
    that releasing a buggy product in a hurry is not a good business strategy (hint, your VISTA version better be more ironed out!); 2)
    the patience of your past loyal users still have a limit;
    3) there better be technical support that people can rely on and trust for any future product; and 4) finally, if you are really stuck and don't know how to solve the problem, please do something from the Customer Service end as a damage control and don't just leave the customers in the cold dark
    corner.
    Sorry for the implite words!

alndal Guest

I have had ZA for 9 months and all of a sudden my computer started freezing intermittantly. I discovered that zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe run continuously and cause 100% usage of my CPU. I finally figured out that whenever I turn on Ad-Watch from the paid version of Ad-Aware, that is when the freeze occers. When I turn off Ad-Watch, the problem clears up. Curious, because I have had Ad-Watch for the past 6 months. ZA must have recently made an upgrade that interacts with Ad-Watch. I sent an e-mail to ZA Tech Supt and am waiting for an answer.

jonellt Guest

You were lucky!
    I had to drive 300 miles the 1st time the "smart advisor" locked me out from the remote access after the 21 days of "learning" my programs.
    It decided my camera program, remote access program and every other program that I was running were all "new" and locked me out of all of them.
    I shut down the program, not realized that when the computer goes thru a restart, it comes alive and I am now locked out again at exactly 21 days!
    Their tech support and customer service isn't any smarter than their smart advisor.
    This 300 mile trip I'm going to get smart and uninstall it!

Thread Information