Thread: Wifi security

jwking912 Guest

Default Wifi security

WinXP Pro, connecting with USB Netgear adapter.

I have ZA Security Suite ver. 7.0.337.000. My city now offers free Wifi in my area but it is unsecured. Does the ZA suite I'm using give me enough security to use this wifi isp safely or do I need to use additional software? If so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Wifi security

ZoneAlarm will HELP in securing your computer to some degree,First of when surfing a public unsecured network or hot spot make sure that Windows' file-sharing feature is off search google to do this if you dont know how.Never send bank passwords, credit card numbers, confidential e-mail, or other sensitive data unless you're sure you're on a secure site: Look for the lock icon in the bottom-right corner of your browser, as well as a URL in the address bar that begins with https. Such sites build in their own encryption so even when surfing a public hot spot some encryption is there,I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing anything with banks and credit cards on ANY public hot spot secured or not.Last I recommend a VPN ----The best way to protect a public wireless link is by using a virtual private network,VPNs keep your communications safe by creating secure "tunnels" through which your encrypted data travels also If you don't mind connecting through your home or office PC(your PC would need to be left on and firewall properly configured to do this), you can log in to a public hotspot securely by using such remote-access programs as LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Wifi security

Extra tips:

to make sure your wireless laptop is secure - you can read this - from PCWorld - How to secure your Wireless network - http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html . Check out other major websites like PCMag.com , firewallguide.com, cnet.com and PCWorld.com for numerous articles on the subject.NaiveMelody NYC 4-15-07~10:38pm e.s.t. - Who let the dogs out - Baja Men

Thread Information