Thread: Extremely long boot time w/ ZA Security Suite: 10+ minutes to get responsive

howardca Guest

Default Extremely long boot time w/ ZA Security Suite: 10+ minutes to get responsive

I just purchased a 5 license pack of ZA Suite: ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200704.1435
    AntiSpam version:4.9.1.8211
    I have installed the first copy on my primary machine, a client machine (xpsp2 pro) that connects to my
    NT Domain in my house. This box has a ton of memory and hd capacity (>2tb connected). Since installing ZA, the machine boots and then spends a VERY long time getting through loading all of the system tray apps... 10+ minutes. The first long delay is in getting ZA started, the second is getting the netgear GA311
    nic monitoring app started. I've cleaned a bunch of the startup cruft out, and added the entire IP address range my net uses (192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.255) as trusted. The boot time is still obscene. Once thru the slowdown, everything runs normally. Any ideas as to why this is happening, suggestions as to fixes?
    TIA

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Extremely long boot time w/ ZA Security Suite: 10+ minutes to get responsive

Hi!to troubleshoot these type of problems, you could selectively startup your system.First with ZASS only.. then slowly add the rest of services/executables.Try the following:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.Is the system still slow? If not, you have a conflicting application/driver installed.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

janer Guest

Default Re: Extremely long boot time w/ ZA Security Suite: 10+ minutes to get responsive

I purchased Zone Alarm Pro Security Suite (3 license) last year after using Norton and McAfee for years. Zone Alarm was brilliant - fast, efficient and easy to use.
    Since the upgrade which includes changing the logo to a tacky looking grey 'Z' my computers have taken ages to boot up and shut down and at shut down there is often a zone alarm process which fails to close.
    This is ridiculous - how can a company that has received thousands of rave reviews
    change an excellent piece of software into something that causes so many problems? My computers are running slowly and I feel like uninstalling Zone Alarm - but what the **bleep** do I use instead? We all need a reliable firewall and antivirus solution combined and I really thought that Zone Alarm was it.

Hi!please contact ZA technical support and explain the problem: www.zonelabs.com/tsformFax

janer Guest

Hi FaxThanks for the reply - I know that you're trying to help but I have spoken to five colleagues (we're unix / oracle programmers employed in IT) and they have all recently uninstalled their Zone Alarm Pro packages on their home PCs. We really loved what you used to have but we haven't the time to uninstall everything, check our drivers (which we tend to keep up to date anyway) or search for whatever is conflicting with Zone Alarm. We know that it is Zone Alarm causing the problems because they don't happen when we uninstall and we're using pretty standard software anyway. It is SUCH a shame - Zone Alarm Pro was the product we all depended on. We all recommended it to each other. Norton became ridiculous when it began blocking images 'of a certain size' just because adverts were often that size - Mc Afee had problems hogging resources and now Zone Alarm is slowing everything down. I read your previous reply to another post here, where you said that there were plenty of other products and if we 'didn't like' Zone Alarm then of course we could use something else but you may well find that this filters through the whole IT community. We knew you were good from masses of reviews but it's the product 'in use' that is the real test - and you were excellent ... that reputation filtered through and now the fact that you're slowing us down is also filtering through. There are sufficient posts on this board alone to show you that there really are problems with your new version. I'm off to try *removed* on one of my PCs now as a colleague has installed this and regained the speed he needs. If it works then I will abandon Zone Alarms altogether. RegardsJane

Message Edited by Greb49er on 04-30-2007 08:41 PM

Hi!Uuuhm, I can understand if you have problem with ZASS, it has a substancial memory footprint...What to say... I am running ZASS without any slow down, but my system is plenty of RAM 4G and CPU is quite powerful.Many are using ZApro and they are running it with no slow down... memory foorprint is similar to ZA 6.5.Well, good luck to you and your colleagues with your new firewall, the important thing is that is working well for you.Cheers,Fax

howardca Guest

My machine is also quite powerful, 4gb ram, terabytes of disk, dual opteron 250. I've contacted support, as you suggested. I really don't have time to try to debug ZA's boot problems. It's possible that they are IM related, which was reportedly off, anyway, but my guess is that ZA is doing some kind of very slow network discovery thing at boot time. It took ZA forever to suss out my network at install time, so long I thought it had hung.

Hi!yes, it could be possible... an easy way to see what is the service creating problem at boot is to look into the Event viewer (system) - Look to time and see what is delaying the startup...Start--> Run -->eventvwr.mscRelated to the IMs, quite possibly its the Messenger Sharing USN that is having problem?It usually has problems....Fax

duane_walker Guest

I have a similar problem. After boot it can take several minutes or even 5 minutes before the system tray programs start to load. All this time there is furious disk activity. When I start a new program it usually sits for 30 seconds to a few minutes doing nothing and then the program loads.

I have installed Sysinterals File Monitor and can see VSMON constantly scanning files. I have 2 large game demos (Command and Conquer 3 and Armed Assualt) and I see them constantly being scanned. Together they are over 2GB.

I just loaded MSCONFIG and there was the usual pause and I could see these files being scanned again.

When I initially loaded ZA 7 it was fine. About a month ago on a Thursday or Friday is when this problem started. I thought it was a MS or firewall patch but could also be hardware.

Thread Information