Thread: Computer restarts whenever I double-click download EXE of FireWall Free

ellenfinkl Guest

Default Computer restarts whenever I double-click download EXE of FireWall Free

I've downloaded zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe twice. Whenever I double-click on the file to install ZoneAlarm Free, my computer immediately shuts down and restarts. I get a message, "Windows has recovered from a serious error." That takes me to a Microsoft page that says:

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

(Actually, they're wrong, because I don't restart the computer, Windows does it for me.)

I've tried several times on two different downloads. I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2, with 1 GB RAM and 3 GB free space on my hard drive.

Can anyone help? I really want to install this program.

Ellen

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: Computer restarts whenever I double-click download EXE of FireWall Free

Okay. The PC is actually retsarting because of the settings in the My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > setting button of the Startup and Recovery > System failure section and the "Automatic Restart box is checked. Many users will uncheck that box and if the Windows experiences an Error, the PC just will shut off. The safe mode menu is usually the next step to go for the users.

Best and easiest advice, besides checking the Event Viewer for the info and doing some diagnostics to see where the fault lies, is to skip the ZAFree version 7.x and instead just install the ZAFree version 6.5 There should be no driver conflicts with the version 6.5 ( the version 7.x has a ZASS underneath it and the drivers of the antivirus will coften conflict with the drivers of the installed and running antivirus of the PC).

So there is a quick cleanup for the ZAFree version 7. If you would want to attempt that first before installing the version 6.5, it would be adviseable.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103

But first try this...

Start the PC in the safe mode (safe boot) and select the safe mode with no networking option.Instructions for your OS is here>

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

check the add/remove programs of the Control panel to see if the ZA is installed and if so then do the uninstall from there. Now do the basic clean up after the reboot into either safe mode or the normal mode.

The easiest way would be to do the uninstall and look for and delete these:

"Internet Logs" (under your Windows Folder)

"Zone Labs" (under your Program Files folder)

"Zonelabs" (under your Windows System32 folder)

The cleanup is still recommneded even if the ZA is not listed in the Add and Remove of the Control Panel, but if it is to complicated, just delete the three folders mentioned just before, after doing the uninstallation or the check to see if it is there.

Once the is done and the PC seems to be working okay, then download the ZAFree version 6.5 from here and use this version instead....

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

Once the ZA 6.5 is installed, be sure to turn the automatic updater off and set it to manual.

It should be okay now. If there are any further questions, please reply and we will work with them.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-25-2007 09:02 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information