Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On my XP Pro SP2 PC's, chkdsk c: verified that ZAISS 7.0.377 seems to be causing file corruption.

wstern Guest

Default On my XP Pro SP2 PC's, chkdsk c: verified that ZAISS 7.0.377 seems to be causing file corruption.

Hi,

I have 4 home computers, all running XP Pro SP2 with ZAISS 7.0.377.
    I ran the following command on each of my 4 computers: chkdsk c:
    In all 4 cases there were index and bitmap problems that chkdsk reported and fixed.

I then disabled ZAISS 7 auto load at startup, and rebooted.
    I ran chkdsk c:, no problems. Rebooted again, ran chkdsk c:, no problems.
    Then I turned on ZAISS 7 to load at startup, rebooted, and ran chkdsk c: and sure enough,
    chkdsk reported index and bitmap corruption. This happened on all of my 4 home computers.

I would appreciate it if anyone else can try this experiment.
    I also have the ZAISS 7 privacy cache cleaner set to run every day, which cleans out the temp folder.
    I wonder if the problem might be that ZAISS 7's cache cleaner is cleaning out the Windows
    temp folder everyday at startup, and this deletion of temporary files during startup might be
    causing the chkdsk index and bitmap errors in the NTFS file system.

If anyone could run chkdsk c: and report back if they have index or bitmap errors,
    it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Bill

Message Edited by wstern on 04-26-200712:20 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: On my XP Pro SP2 PC's, chkdsk c: verifited that ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070425112000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200704.1455
    AntiSpam version:4.9.1.8211
    I just ran chkdsk on c: and found no errors.
    I have the windows swap file on e: but haven't run chkdsk on that.

Default Re: On my XP Pro SP2 PC's, chkdsk c: verifited that ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

Hi!No chkdsk disk errors here too... not sure what is your problem...Are you running any disk defrag tools? It may be that one.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wstern Guest

Hi,

I have carefully run unit tests with ZAISS 7 turned on and off under very controlled conditions on each
    of my 4 computers (They are all running Windows XP Pro SP2). ZAISS7 is definitely causing my issue.
    These chkdsk errors mean the integrity of the NTFS file system is being corrupted.

I love ZAISS 7, as its many features and its combination with Kaspersky give me the ultimate security,
    but I am concerned about these chkdsk errors. I don't want it to corrupt the operating system or any valuable files I have.

If you are not getting these chkdsk errors, maybe its something with the way I'm customizing ZAISS 7.
    Under privacy settings, I turned on the Cache cleaner, and enabled the cleaning out of the Windows temp folder every day.
    Maybe this could be deleting files from the temp directory during Windows startup,
    while other things are trying to load, and this could be causing NTFS index and bitmat issues.

I did a search on this support list, and I saw other people raising this same issue (about 2 weeks ago),
    so I'm not the only one with this problem.

I would encourage anyone who reads this post to do the following and respond back if you have chkdsk errors:

Start, run, cmd (Open up command prompt).
    chkdsk c:

It will take about 10 minutes to run. If you see index or bitmat error messages, then you may have the same issue I have.
    If you could respond back with your results, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bill

Hi!checked, no errors... I have see this chksdk issue popping up on the Kaspersky from time to time but at the end no real facts are tabled to attribute this issue toKAV...Fax

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to compare my ZA settings to your settings.

Are you using ZAISS7 or ZAPro7?
    Have you turned on the Zone Alarm Anti-virus (Kaspersky engine) and Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware?
    Have you turned on the Privacy cache cleaner to clean out your Windows Temp folder - If so, did you set it to do it daily?
    Have you turned on Program Control to high setting, with top 2 out of 3 program control choices checked on next screen?

Any other details you could provide about your customizations would be helpful.
    What I could do is to configure my ZAISS7 the same as yours, and see if the chkdsk NTFS corruption error messages go away.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi!Are you using ZAISS7 or ZAPro7? ZASS
    Have you turned on the Zone Alarm Anti-virus (Kaspersky engine) and Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware? YES
    Have you turned on the Privacy cache cleaner to clean out your Windows Temp folder - If so, did you set it to do it daily? YES, every 14 days
    Have you turned on Program Control to high setting, YES with top 2 out of 3 program control choices checked on next screen? NO, left as they are at defaultFax

wstern Guest

Default Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

Hi Fax,

I've been carefully reading the Kaspersky 6 forum tread on this chkdsk error topic
    Numeorous descriptions match my exact symptoms. There a numerous pages (That you must click on the numbers at the bottom to advance).

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...995&st=120

I believe the Kaspersky engine is causing my problem.

The official explanation is:

Checksums added to the NTFS file indexes by KIS's iSwift module are causing this type of CHKDSK issue.
    This extra information KIS permanently adds to the NTFS file system causes NTFS to be corrupted.

Uninstalling KIS or Zone Alarm for that matter will not remove this extra Checksum info that Kaspersky 6
    added to the NTFS file system. The only solution is to reformat your hard drive, reinstall Windows,
    and then to never use Kaspersky again.

Also, from the beta testers of the new Kaspersky 7, they report that this issue remains in Kaspersky 7.

Since my PC contains critical information, I'm going to manually all data off, and then reformat hard drive.
    I will never use Kaspersky again.

I might use Zone Alarm Pro (Instead of ZAISS), because Zone Alarm Pro thankfully doesn't come with Kaspersky.

Bill

Default Re: Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

Hi!the problem is that iswift/ichecker is NOT implemented in ZASS Anyway, I know those posts but no concrete elements to support it... never been demostrated, so most likely your corruption has nothing to do with KAV!!Cheers,Fax

wstern Guest

Default Re: Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

Hi Fax,

I finished reading all posts of the long 13 page thread from the Kaspersky forum on this chkdsk c: corruption issue.
    The concerned contributors maintained this thread for 6+ months.
    They did numerous tests on their own computers (including the reformatting of their hard drives several times),
    and their conclusion is that this hard drive corruption only starts after the Kaspersky 6 engine does a full scan of the c: drive.

I only used ZAISS 7.0.337, which uses the virus engine version 6 licensed from Kaspersky.
    I understood your previous post, in which you mention that ZAISS doesn't use the iswift/icheck feature.
    But, my symptoms are identical to their symptoms.
    A long delay at 0% while chkdsk begins its 2nd check (indexes), and then chkdsk displays numerous
    errors about index errors, bitmap errors, and duplicate Objects and missing objects in the NTFS file system.

The members on the Kaspersky list's final conclusion is that when the Kaspersky 6 engine does a full virus scan
    of the c: drive, it adds a Checksum data to each and every NTFS file index (so that the next time a full scan is done),
    Kaspersky can compare the checksum so it doesn't waste time scanning a file which hasn't changed since the last full scan.

Do you think its possible that ZAISS doesn't use the iswitf/icheck feature (as you mentioned),
    but that by default (without asking), the Kaspersky engine automatically adds this permanent extra information to
    the NTFS file system on each index (even though iswift/icheck options may be disabled).

Since my symptoms are identical to their symptoms, I'm leaning toward this conclusion, and I'm hoping
    you might be able to give me a reason to believe that its not Kaspersky.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information