Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On my XP Pro SP2 PC's, chkdsk c: verified that ZAISS 7.0.377 seems to be causing file corruption.

Default Re: Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 has caused file corruption.

Hi!Nope, absolutely not possible... iswift is not implemented and ZASS AV engine does not add any checksum, sorry.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

I found the answer in this Microsoft document:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c28621675.mspx

I've copied the relevant paragraph from the Microsoft document here:

Chkdsk might fail in read-only mode or might report false errors.
    The read-only Chkdsk process involves three phases. If Chkdsk encounters errors in the early phases, Chkdsk might abort before it completes all three phases. In addition, Chkdsk is prone to falsely reporting errors when in read-only mode, and it might report that a volume is corrupted even when no corruption is present. For example, Chkdsk might report corruption if NTFS modifies an area of the disk on behalf of a program at the same time Chkdsk is examining the same area. To verify a volume correctly, the volume must be in a static state, and the only way to guarantee that state is to lock the volume. Chkdsk locks the volume only when you specify the /f, /r, or /x parameters. Thus, you might need to run Chkdsk more than once for Chkdsk to complete all stages in read-only mode.

In that paragraph above, Microsoft is warning us that chkdsk c: (run in read only mode) is prone to reporting false positives because if anything is writing to the disk at the same time chkdsk is running, chkdsk may flag this as corruption, even though the disk is fine. The article says the only reliable way to run chkdsk is during reboot before login when chkdsk has an exclusive lock on the hard drive by giving a command like this: chkdsk c: /F /R

The members of the Kaspersky site whole argument was that running chkdsk in read only mode produced errors (and they blamed this on Kaspersky). But this is normal behavior of chkdsk when run on any computer in read only mode.
    The members of the Kaspersky site said that when running chkdsk c: /F /R and doing a boot time chkdsk, their volumes were always clean.

So the issue they were raising about Kaspersky is a total non-issue, because Microsoft says the only accurate way
    to run a chkdsk is a bootup, and the Kaspersky people said their bootup chkdsk's were clean.

So, this makes me feel better that I researched this, so I know the Kaspersky engine used by ZAISS7 is safe to use.

Bill

Hi!good! Nice troubleshooting....You know now that you should not beleive always what you see written on forums....It would benice you change at least one of the subject of the thread to inform that this is fixed.Thanks,Fax

wstern Guest

Default Issue resolved - Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 does not cause any disk problems.

Hi Fax,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've resolved this issue.
    The Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 does not cause any disk problems.

I've listed the details below:

I found the answer in this Microsoft document:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c28621675.mspx

I've copied the relevant paragraph from the Microsoft document here:

Chkdsk might fail in read-only mode or might report false errors.
    The read-only Chkdsk process involves three phases. If Chkdsk encounters errors in the early phases, Chkdsk might abort before it completes all three phases. In addition, Chkdsk is prone to falsely reporting errors when in read-only mode, and it might report that a volume is corrupted even when no corruption is present. For example, Chkdsk might report corruption if NTFS modifies an area of the disk on behalf of a program at the same time Chkdsk is examining the same area. To verify a volume correctly, the volume must be in a static state, and the only way to guarantee that state is to lock the volume. Chkdsk locks the volume only when you specify the /f, /r, or /x parameters. Thus, you might need to run Chkdsk more than once for Chkdsk to complete all stages in read-only mode.

In that paragraph above, Microsoft is warning us that chkdsk c: (run in read only mode) is prone to reporting false positives because if anything is writing to the disk at the same time chkdsk is running, chkdsk may flag this as corruption, even though the disk is fine. The article says the only reliable way to run chkdsk is during reboot before login when chkdsk has an exclusive lock on the hard drive by giving a command like this: chkdsk c: /F /R

The members of the Kaspersky site whole argument was that running chkdsk in read only mode produced errors (and they blamed this on Kaspersky). But this is normal behavior of chkdsk when run on any computer in read only mode.
    The members of the Kaspersky site said that when running chkdsk c: /F /R and doing a boot time chkdsk, their volumes were always clean.

So the issue they were raising about Kaspersky is a total non-issue, because Microsoft says the only accurate way
    to run a chkdsk is a bootup, and the Kaspersky people said their bootup chkdsk's were clean.

So, this makes me feel better that I researched this, so I know the Kaspersky engine used by ZAISS7 is safe to use.

Bill

Default Re: Issue resolved - Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 does not cause any disk problems.

Thank you Bill...You have been very kind and professional...Regards,Fax

wstern Guest

Default Re: Issue resolved - Kaspersky engine in ZAISS 7.0.377 does not cause any disk problems.

Hi Fax,

Thank you again for your help - Your knowledge of the Zone Alarm products is unsurpassed.
    Your initial instincts about not believing the unsubstantiated claims from the Kaspersky forum
    encouraged me to find the real answer that the Kaspersky Anti-virus engine doesn't cause disk corruption.
    It only took you and I less than 1 day to arrive at a definite answer
    (in contract to the members on the Kaspersky forum who have unfortunately been discussing
    and worrying about this issue for 6 months). I don't have a useriid / password on the Kaspersky forum,
    but I'm tempted to get one so I could help those members by giving them the link to the document from Microsoft.

Thanks again,

Bill

zaswing Guest

Wstern,Now that Fax told you the answers and you found more, let me add my five cents if you don't mind, in case it's in the "Everybody knows" category
    chkdsk from command line in safe mode works better.But there's no point using chkdsk any more.
    XP has a very nice GUI to do just that and safely, precisely according to M$ requirements.
    Select your C drive, Properties, Tools. Now click on the badly named button "Check Now" - nothing "Now" about it. It just schedules for next reboot. "Now" is not even an option. Select both options corresponding to /f and /r switches, OK, and you're good to go. Works everytime.
    Incidentally, I usually see several $-something NTFS inconsistencies entries, which the system fixes. I read about them on the M$ knowledgebase - nothing to worry about. No Kaspersky here yet.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-27-200702:58 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

Thank you for your post in which mentioned that chkdsk from command line in safe mode works better, and using the
    C drive, Properties, Tools, "Check Now" GUI is another option.

Running it in safe mode could come in handy if the operating system files or driver files have gotten corrupted.

It would be interesting if we do a chkdsk /f /r or GUI equivalent on a PC which doesn't have ZAISS installed,
    just to see if it also might have the similar very mild "nothing to worry about" minor disk issues that chkdsk
    easily fixes.

Bill

zaswing Guest

<blockquote><hr>wstern wrote:
    It would be interesting if we do a chkdsk /f /r or GUI equivalent on a PC which doesn't have ZAISS installed,
    just to see if it also might have the similar very mild &quot;nothing to worry about&quot; minor disk issues that chkdsk
    easily fixes.
    <hr></blockquote>Done. Using GUI equivalent on PC without ZA of any kind, the nearest
    ZA is several miles away Quote from the event log:Event Type:
    Information
    Event Source:
    Winlogon
    Event Category:
    None
    Event ID:
    Date:

4/30/2007
    Time:

5:55:24 PM
    User:

N/A
    Computer:
    &lt;windows 2000 pro, NTFS, no ZoneAlarm here&gt;
    Description:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is SYSTEM.A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 4 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 4 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.
    39077608 KB total disk space.

11966720 KB in 72242 files.

21324 KB in 5229 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

167803 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

26921760 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.

78155216 total allocation units on disk.

53843521 allocation units available on disk.Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.
    Since I'm mostly up to date, I've been ignoring these kb articles, because I think the 2000 &quot;CAUSE&quot; section is relevant.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831375/According to this one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255008 :
    "CAUSE
    This problem occurs because if Chkdsk is run against an NTFS volume, Chkdsk.exe mayreport that security descriptors are in the database that are no longer referenced byany file or folder and that it is removing them. However, Chkdsk.exe just reclaims theunused security descriptors as a housekeeping activity, and it does not actually fixany kind of problem.&quot;
    So do we worry or not?

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-01-200709:51 AM

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-01-200709:51 AM

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

Thank you for performing that test. It proves that even on a PC that has never had ZAISS installed,
    chkdsk c: /F will find minor problems with the NTFS file system.

You also uncovered some Microsoft knowledge base articles about a chkdsk bug which occurs when
    an NTFS volume has more than 4,194,303 files, in which Access control lists (ACLs) on some files may revert to their default values.

I've read the knowledge base articles, but its not clear if this chkdsk bug exists in Windows XP SP2.
    Were you able to determine whether or not this bug exists in Windows XP SP2?

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information