Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updclient.exe is causing me to CTD

worrywort Guest

Default Updclient.exe is causing me to CTD

Updclient.exe is causing me extreme pain.
    This program (ZA update client) is an extreme resource and memory hog.
    So much so, that is causes me to crash to desktop (CTD) whenever I play my beloved BF2142 and it starts to run.

I've been having constant and random CTD issues with BF2142 and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what was causing this.
    I tried literally everything, even re-formatting to no avail.

A friend finally suggested a file and crash monitor and low and behold, the culprit is a program named: Updclient.exe, which is ZA's update client.
    Updclient.exe runs at nearly 100% CPU cycles and 50% memory and while the total time it runs like this isn't long, the damage is already done (CTD).
    I tried to disable the automatic updates and this program still randomnly starts to run, causing me to CTD every time it comes up while I'm playing BF2142.
    Does anyone know how to disable Updclient.exe, aside from unistalling ZA?
    Thanks for the help!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Updclient.exe is causing me to CTD

Here is something to try with Zone Alarm while playing Games..Right Click on the ZA Tray Icon..Click on Game Mode..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

In addition to Guru GeorgeV 's advice, perhaps turning off the automatic program updater to manual may help too.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

worrywort Guest

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I figured out how to stop updclient.exe from coming up every hour or so:
    I disabled the AV/AS auto update.
    I tried to disable just the auto update on the main screen, and updclient.exe still came up, so I searched through all auto updates and found an AV/AS auto update that was independant (seemingly) of the "main" auto update (strange).
    Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

I hope this does the trick!
    So far, two hours of playing, no CTDs!
    Halleluiah!
    I hope Zone Labs can address this in the next update.
    I love ZA, but this last issue really had me considering alternatives.
    Thanks again and if this doesn't work, I'll be back for further advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Worrywort wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions.I think I figured out how to stop updclient.exe from coming up every hour or so: I disabled the AV/AS auto update. I tried to disable just the auto update on the main screen, and updclient.exe still came up, so I searched through all auto updates and found an AV/AS auto update that was independant (seemingly) of the "main" auto update (strange).Thanks again, I appreciate the help.I hope this does the trick! So far, two hours of playing, no CTDs! Halleluiah!I hope Zone Labs can address this in the next update. I love ZA, but this last issue really had me considering alternatives.Thanks again and if this doesn't work, I'll be back for further advice.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback..Please Report your findings to ZA Tech Support..Your information may be the part of the Puzzel that helps Tech Support fix the Game Mode AV/AS Update Bug..www.zonelabs.com/tsform
    GeorgeV

worrywort Guest

Confirmed.

Disabling all auto updates, including the AV/AS update (which is separate from the primary auto update) fixed my crash issue.

Updclient.exe hasn't popped up in many hours of gameplay after turning all auto updates off.
    Subsequently, I've been able to play BF2142 CTD free!

Thanks again.
    I hope this helps others that may be experiencing the same issue.

Glad to hear the problem can be worked around.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Worrywort wrote:
    Confirmed.Disabling all auto updates, including the AV/AS update (which is separate from the primary auto update) fixed my crash issue.Updclient.exe hasn't popped up in many hours of gameplay after turning all auto updates off. Subsequently, I've been able to play BF2142 CTD free!Thanks again. I hope this helps others that may be experiencing the same issue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your feedback..I'm glad your work around is working so far..
    GeorgeV

sdlorenson Guest

I know I shouldnt bump an old thread, but I am soooo happy to find this. I got a new cptr this summer and I have been going nuts because every hour (on the hour per my cptr's clock) if I am in World of Warcraft, I will get sent (not crash, just game loses focus) to desktop and often experience choppy gameplay (lag) for a few seconds after I go back in. I installed a program called process explorer (an improved task manager from www.sysinternals.com) and discovered that the program running every hour was updclient.exe. I suspected it was something like that but hadn't found a way to pinpoint it until now.

I have now disabled auto update and hope that I don't regret that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>SDLorenson wrote:
    I know I shouldnt bump an old thread, but I am soooo happy to find this. I got a new cptr this summer and I have been going nuts because every hour (on the hour per my cptr's clock) if I am in World of Warcraft, I will get sent (not crash, just game loses focus) to desktop and often experience choppy gameplay (lag) for a few seconds after I go back in. I installed a program called process explorer (an improved task manager from www.sysinternals.com) and discovered that the program running every hour was updclient.exe. I suspected it was something like that but hadn't found a way to pinpoint it until now.

I have now disabled auto update and hope that I don't regret that.
    <HR>
    to the Zone Alarm User forum..</BLOCKQUOTE>Besides the Game Mode option in this Forum Link..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=42696I believe the Loss of Game disrution during AV/AS Updates has been fixed in the 7.0.408.000<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.408.000 name=7.0.408.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.408.000<UL class=body><LI>Performance improvements in system startup and shutdown, antivirus, spysite loading, the update client, and more. <LI>Stability improvements during antivirus scans, uninstall, while shutting down, and more. <LI>Compatibility: Fixed compatibility issues with Project 2007, Bit Torrent, and Logitech Webcam. <LI>Antivirus enhancements (in Suite and Antivirus products only): New scan priority for on-demand antivirus scans. <LI>Various usability and other improvements. </LI>[/list]<P class=headblack2><A id=7.0.362.000 name=7.0.362.000 target=_blank></A>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.362.000<UL class=body><LI>Antivirus enhancements: Enables email scanning and fixes issue where memory scans could not be skipped. <LI>Stability enhancements: Various improvements including better Outlook stability working with ZoneAlarm's anti-spam and better stability while using privacy features. <LI>Compatibility enhancements: Works better with Outlook and Netflix's Downloading service. <LI>Performance enhancements: Better anti-spam performance, fixed occasional hang during AV updates, addressed issues with hourly updates stealing focus from some applications and games. </LI>[/list]

If you have upgraded to 7.0.408.000 and are still having the Problem in Game mode..

Then Please Report it to Zone Alarm Tech Support www.zonealarm.com/tsform

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.423.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.423.000
    Driver version:7.0.423.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:928227548
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.176.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2655
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

GeorgeV