Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive - NEED GURU ADVICE

Oh the svchost is not opened. The command is just used to get a list of what services that are being used by the svchost.exe. It is just to get some idea of the services and what could be possibly causing some issues.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

charlyhors Guest

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive - NEED GURU ADVICE

You overestimate my understanding of computers. I clicked the Start button, and then Run and then typed in your phrase
    tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe"
    and received a message that Windows can't find that file, be sure I typed in the name correctly.

Not a problem. Instead of typing the tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe" into the Run itself, just type in command and OK. The command prompt will appear and then type in tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe" and hit the Enter Key of the keyboard.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

charlyhors Guest

Thanks for the detailed instructions here's what it said:

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>TASKLIST /SVC /FI "imagename eq svchost.exe"

Image Name PID Services
    ========================= ====== ============================================
    svchost.exe 828 DcomLaunch, TermService
    svchost.exe 876 RpcSs
    svchost.exe 944 AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
    dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc,
    lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
    Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
    SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,
    TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,
    wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
    svchost.exe 1016 Dnscache
    svchost.exe 1088 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient
    svchost.exe 1552 stisvc

Okay now left click the Start of the TaskBar and right click My Computer. Select the Manage. Under the Computer Management in the column on the left side, select the Services Management and click the "+" and underneath select the Services.

Listed is the Services that will be shown in the command prompt. Disabling or starting Services is always done in this area. Just right click the items in the right side of the Services and select the Properties. There the Service is disabled and has information and details as well.

An excellent guide for Services is here>

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

So your looks like this:

svchost.exe 828
    DcomLaunch, TermService

Okay the DCom Service is needed. Even the Adobe Reader uses Dcom.

Terminal Services is not needed if the PC is a single PC behind a LAN. This is intended for a large LAN with interconnected PC working together. It should be okay to either set it as Manual (with stopped) or Disabled.

svchost.exe 876
    RpcSs

Yes The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is most definitely needed for getting a connection.

svchost.exe 944
    AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc,lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,SharedAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice,TapiSrv, Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt,wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC

AudioSrv is the sound of the PC. It does music, special effects, or sounds. Most users leave this on.

BITS is Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Leave this if using the Windows Automatic Updates.

Browser is the Computer Browser. Not needed. This is intended for a large LAN with interconnected PC working together. It should be okay to either set it as Manual (with stopped) or Disabled.

CryptSvc is the EnCryption Service. This tells me you are using the XP Pro and not the XP Home. Use it, if doing any encryption with the native encryption service. If not then disable.

Dhcp is the DHCP Client Service is usually needed. Leave as is if a laptop. There are options for a desktop. But leave it as it is being now applied.

dmserver is the Logical Disk Manager. Leave it. BUT it could be the source of those LED flashes on the external drive.

ERSvc is the Error Reporting Service. If you allow the Errors to be reported back to Microsoft, then leave alone.

EventSystem- yes needed.

helpsvc is porbably needed if using the help from windows.

lanmanserver is for the server service. Disable if no server is being used on the LAN such as file and printer sharing or P2P. "Support for peer-to peer file sharing, print sharing, and named pipe sharing via SMB services."

lanmanworkstation is probably not needed if the previous situations are applied.

Netman I think is the Network Connections. Leave as it is. But it could be set at Manual.

Nla is Network Location Awareness.Network Location Awareness. Leave as is.

RasMan is Remote Access Service. Disable if no remote logins are being done.

Schedule is Task Scheduler. Leave if there are scheduled Tasks or if there are other services needing this such as automatic updates.

seclogon is the Secondary Logon Service. Use if more than user with different accounts and passwords. Disbale if not.

SENS is the System Event Notification service. Leave it as is.

SharedAccess is for the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Leave it, as is since it is used by other things, but make sure the Windows Firewall is off in the Control Panel.

ShellHWDetection is Shell Hardware Detection. Leave this as it is now.

srservice is the System Restore Service. Leave if using the System restore. If not, then disable. The Task Scheduler is needed for this to work.

TapiSrv is Telephony Service. No dialup or VOIP used?- then disable this.

Themes is the Themes service. Used for XP Active Desktop Themes and quick launch toolbars. Not needed, but is needed for the XP themes. I leave mine on since I like those extras!

TrkWks is Distributed Link Tracking Client. Yes leave alone.

W32Time is the Windows Time. Leave if the Time is being updated automatically.

winmgmt is Windows Management Instrumentation. Leave it alone too.

wscsvc is the Windows Security Center. Leave it as it is if using the Automatic updates.

wuauserv is the Automatic Updates. Leave it since the automatic updates is being used.

WZCSVC is the Wireless Zero Configuration and disable if there is no wireless connection being used or ever will be used.

svchost.exe 1016
    Dnscache

DNS Client - yes needed.

svchost.exe 1088
    LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient

Lmhosts is the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper or TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service. Not needed if not on a large LAN or if there are no networked devices. Many will say leave it alone.

RemoteRegistry is Remote Registry Service. It is used to allow remote registry manipulation. Disable if there is no remote admin logins.

SSDPSRV is SSDP Discovery Service. Used for UPnP devices on your home network. Disable if there are none.

WebClient is WebClient service. Disable if there is storage of files on the internet being done. BUT the windows updates will actually need this from time to time. Mine is set to Manual, BUT I do the updates manually.

** I have a lot of these services disabled or set to manual, but I basically know a little what is involved and what is needed and when and why**

svchost.exe 1552
    stisvc

stisvc is Windows Image Acquisition. Using a camera or scanner or video, then leave. Not all cameras, scanners and videos need this, but many do. No camera or scanner, then disable this.

One but of advice- whenever disabling or altering a Service- always record what was disabled/changed IF there is an issue later on or in the future.

Everything looks okay. Please note that the number after the svchost is the PID. The actual PID is available in the Task Manager....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

charlyhors Guest

OK Thanks, I have worked through that list of services and altered them according to my use. I also experimented with stopping and disabling the Logical Diskmanager, but the maxtor drive kept blinking, so I put it back on automatic and restarted it. Any other ideas? it's still blinking

It could be the Indexing Service, Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service, or the MS Software Shadow Copy. But some of these are related to system restore and other things.

Indexing will run even when the PC is shutting down- it does a massive amount of work even when not wanted. It is run by the cisvc.exe. Sometimes this service does cause problems for even non-ZA users.

Go back to the Computer Management of the Manage of the right click of My Computer. Then select the Indexing Service under the Services, then The System and then the Directories. In the right side of this, is the external drive seen as being listed by the allocated label by windows? If yes, then change the Indexing by deleting the entry and create a new one , but the new entry with the NO option used.
    I suggest this in case the windows is doing extra work by trying to do indexing of the external drive.

It is also possible the windows components in the ZA are not listed properly. Make sure these each have three green bars.

Also, make sure that any drivers or software updates are applied for the backup software. Right click the backup software components in the ZA program listing and open the Options. Check the second item listed.

Open the OSFirewall of the ZA and adjust the startups to two flat lines. Set the Program Control slider to Medium- maybe it needs some more learning.

I am running out of ideas. Only two left.

One is a database reset and the other is the official Zone Labs Technical Support (email support is free). To do a database reset, do this:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The Zone Alarm will be cleaned of all previous settings and data and it will appear as when it was first installed

*how to get into safe mode*....

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

------------------------------------------------------------

The Technical Support link is listed below.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

doodles Guest

Was this ever resolved? I have the same problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information