Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive

charlyhors Guest

Default New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive

I just updated to ZA 7.0.337 and am a paid subscriber to ZA Security Suite.
    I have a Maxtor One Touch III Mini external hard drive plugging into USB for backup purposes.
    It backs up once a day in the evening generally, and its light only flashes when it is active backing up or checking on files.
    Ever since the new ZA update, my Maxtor drive is continually flashing.
    If I disable ZA, the light goes back to a stable on light, so I know its ZA causing this activity.
    Can I set ZA to not be accessing my backup drive continuously?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

zaswing Guest

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive

Pull the plug Well, safely remove is better.Seriously, somewhere on the Antivirus screen you'll find Options, and
    under that,
    Advanced options. Select targets and unclick the USB drive letter. I'm not sitting in front of ZA so I can't tell you exact words.Make sure the drive is clean and when you backup nightly, make sure
    that the backup files are clean.

charlyhors Guest

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive

I went into ZA virus scan advanced options.It does allow me to select targets for virus scan, and the only selected targets are my local internal hard drives C and D. Under floppy and removable drives, Drive A floppy and Drive G- my maxtor back up drive are the only ones listed and they are Xed to not access. I have used the little MS icon on the bottom of the screen to stop/disconnect my external drive, and sometimes that allows me to stop it, and sometimes that just gives me busy-cannot disconnect messages.

Seems like there should be a solution that allows an automatic daily check of the external hard drive without continous accessing of it. What would cause that? ZA doesnt continously check the drive C and D.

zaswing Guest

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive - NEED GURU ADVICE

For starters, to be able to safely remove without hassles, disable write cacheing on external drive. I did that on my Maxtor drive and others, and haven't seen the can't close now error since.
    Sorry,I missed, in the first post, the "continually flashing part" - like all day?
    Now I wonder if on-access scan is going after it, but it makes no sense since I doubt you're running anything from that drive.Perhaps version 7 of ZA is different from 6.Did that drive come with Retrospect or other backup software that might be conflicting?

Default Re: New Udate continuously accesses my external Maxtor hard drive - NEED GURU ADVICE

Open the Task Manager and check what is running. See if there are any CPU spikes in something when the external drive's light flashes.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

I just thought of something else. Let's say it takes an hour to scan 20gig of data. So 100gig of data has to go 5 hours. That would imply that ZA is ignoring the exclusion of that drive. But yeah, the answer should be in task mgr or any Process Explorer or File explorer. Thanks Oldsod.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-15-200704:40 PM

It could be the one or more of the ...Indexing Service, Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Logical Disk Manager, Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service, MS Software Shadow Copy Provider, Network DDE, Removable Storage, WebClient working overtime with the auto backups. The AV scanner could be seeing the occuring changes and then of course be obligated to scan the actions.

But on the other hand, I could be wrong.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

charlyhors Guest

OK thanks, I do not follow all of what you are saying, but I did check the running processes, and here is what I saw:
    System Idle was typically at 99, with explorer.exe alternating from 00 to 01 Sometimes Scanningprocess.exe and svcholst.exe would alternate between 00 to 01. That's all the processes I see running as the Maxtor light continues to blink non stop. Does that tell you anything?

Scanningprocess.exe belongs to the ZASS scanner.
    So lets find out what those svchost.exe are all doing. Open the Command and type in

tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe"

There will be a list of services that are being used by the svchost.exe This may help.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

charlyhors Guest

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I open svchost.exe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information