Thread: How do I close Port 135

cyberlee Guest

Default How do I close Port 135

A Shields Up Scan shows my port 135 open and being used by DCOM Service Control Manager.Recently installed LimeWire with a Second Program to make for faster downloads 'Swarm'.Have spent hours and days trying to remove it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

cyberlee Guest

Default Re: How do I close Port 135

Well I answered my own question but the answer might help someone else so here it is.I uninstalled McAfee Site Advisor, cleared all entries from ZA Programs and componentsrebooted.
    Rescanned at
    www.grc.com and came up clean.

But if anyone knows how to completely remove all entries of the software developers toolcommonly referred to as 'Swarm', I'd sure be grateful for that info.

Hi

To close ports, just remove the server rights for the Internet Zone. All of them- any internet zone server rights will always open ports to the internet.

To remove the rest of SWARM? Try the complete search using the explorer and check all Documents and Setting folders, check the harddrive and check the Program Files folder. Do a Find in the registry. Use the title of the swarm's components for the search and the find besides just swarm.

Run CCleaner for several days and Abexo, both freeware...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

http://www.download.com/Abexo-Free-R...-10434887.html

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cyberlee Guest

Thanks Oldsod....I'll try all that.
    Appreciate your help.

metallica Guest

I also just run Common Ports Probe from Gibson Research www.grc.com.

Same warning,
    135 RPC OPEN! (Remote Procedure Call) "This impossible-to-close port appears in most Windows systems. Since many insecure Microsoft services use this port, it should never be left "open" to the outside world. This port has been exploited to send "Messenger Spam" pop-ups to Microsoft windows users. Since it is impossible to close, you will need a personal firewall or NAT router to block it from external access. Do it soon!" And I have ZA Security Suite, fully updated.

Went into ZA Security Suite and change the server rights for the Internet Zone. Change all of those with Allow to Ask except those that ZA Security Suite "strongly recommends that you do not change those settings", such as for Generic Host Process for Window Services | System, A popup with heading q System Programs: Applying custom settings to System Programs could cause serious problems with your computer including crashes and Internet connectivity problems. ZA Security Suite strongly recommends that you do not change those settings.

Retest with the Common Ports Probe from Gibson Research, result still the same, Port 135 is still open.

Any suggestion?

Thks in advance.

peter_eching Guest

I closed Port 135 by disallowing internet server function for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe) in the ZA 6.5 firewall.

Message Edited by peter_eching on 01-06-2008 05:59 PM

Message Edited by peter_eching on 01-06-2008 06:00 PM

Thread Information