Thread: Empty Firewall Log

dr Guest

Default Empty Firewall Log

I just noticed that nothing's gotten recorded in my Firewall log since 4-22-2007. The files are being created, but they're all empty. Event logging IS turned on.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

evensteven Guest

Default Re: Empty Firewall Log

First of all, are you behind a Router? If you are, then it will not show anything in your logs. If not, try the following and it should solve your problem.

A database reset will fix the problem if Zone Alarm is the problem in the first place. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

dr Guest

Good to know, thanks, but I figured I might as well save myself one reboot and just do a clean install.
    So I did a save, a clean install, and a restore and things are logging again.
    This used to be an issue in most of the previous versions of ZA, but I've not run into lately.
    It'd be nice if they had a few maintenance options where one could go in and clear corrupt files or and especially an AUTOMATED way to remove no-longer-existant software from "Program Control".

brownbullhead Guest

This method has not worked for me.
    Yes, I've deleted under Safe Mode.
    I use Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, ADSL 5 mbps connection, 500 GB hard disk, no router or hardware firewalls.
    I've even tried manually disabling all components of Spy Sweeper, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, but my "Firewall" log still shows 0 events; the other logs "Programs" or "OSFirewall"
    for example, have content.
    I've also tried clean reinstalls.
    I am beginning to this this is more of a Vista vs. ZA issue, as it worked flawlessly for me on XP on my last computer (upgraded in September 2007).
    Anyone else out there under Vista with the same issue as me?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>BrownBullhead wrote:
    This method has not worked for me. Yes, I've deleted under Safe Mode. I use Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, ADSL 5 mbps connection, 500 GB hard disk, no router or hardware firewalls.I've even tried manually disabling all components of Spy Sweeper, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, but my "Firewall" log still shows 0 events; the other logs "Programs" or "OSFirewall"for example, have content. I've also tried clean reinstalls.I am beginning to this this is more of a Vista vs. ZA issue, as it worked flawlessly for me on XP on my last computer (upgraded in September 2007).Anyone else out there under Vista with the same issue as me?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A.) What Version Of Vista are you using..B.) What Version of ZA 7.1.248 (ZAFree, ZAAV, ZAPro, ZASS)1- Have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZA firewall product. This is animportant step to follow. <HR>2 - do notyou use any download managers or web accelerators( often used with dial-up) = [these conflict with ZA= should not be used] during ZA install <HR>3 - please list other security software - ex. - anti-spyware: Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, SpyCatcher, Windows Defender,Ad-Watch(of Ad-Aware),etc.= these should be shut-off/ shut-downprior to installing ZA; monitoring/performance software - system mechanics, norton utilties/ backups/ ghosts <HR>4 - did you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6/ 7 or Firefox or others to download? IE 6/ 7 is preferred. &lt;&lt;&lt; Better results, if you temporarily use IE 6/ 7 for downloading any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>5 - in your web browser - if it has security &gt; trusted zone/ site list and pop-up blocker settings - adjust -add "download.zonealarm.com" to safe/trusted-site/whitelistand of any pop-blockers software you may have<HR><HR> Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. <HR>Other Helpful Hints:<LI>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=162</LI>C.) It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.1.254.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:946320774
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200803.3445
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.248.000