Thread: Loyal ZoneAlarm User may find Alternative to ZoneAlarm Suite because of V7 - Blue Screen of Death

carveb Guest

Default Loyal ZoneAlarm User may find Alternative to ZoneAlarm Suite because of V7 - Blue Screen of Death

I have been a loyal long time user of ZoneAlarm for many years. First using the free version and later upgrading to various paid versions until I obtained the entire suite. I appears since Zonealarm's acquisition that code quality testing and customer support has continued to be cut until customers have suffered.
    I my last renewal I had some minor issues, then was encouraged to upgrade to the latest V7. I did since I generally had no major, only occassional minor issues. This time was different. V7 install caused my PC to go to the Blue Screen of Death upon reboot. ***EVERY REBOOT***.
    If I hadn't been an advanced user in the IT/IS industry my PC would have been toast (a useless doorstop). I had to utilize several advanced recovery methods that ordinary users would have no knowledge, costing time, money and frustration.

If I was a novice and brought my PC to a PC repair shop, they probably would have charged me $200-300 or more to fix my PC and then I probably would have considered declining and just purchasing a new PC.

I have since reloaded with an older V6 Suite, forgoing any more advanced security in V7 to avoid permanently trashing my PC.

Like many other users on this forum I don't have days of time to go back and forth via e-mail with 1st level tech support (obtaining small bits of information at a time that does not solve the problem) the in an effort to resolve such issues.

Considering I am running XP with the latest patches (you have had years to get this right...largest customer base OS out there) this is unacceptable.

ZoneAlarm you have a MAJOR problem. Fix it or your customers will disappear permanently.
    BC

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Loyal ZoneAlarm User may find Alternative to ZoneAlarm Suite - Blue Screen of Death

Hi!what I have seen so far causing BSOD are spyware doctor, system mechanics, logitech softwareand other small utilities you may run at boot.If you Uncheck "Load ZA... at startup" (overview ---> preferences) and run ZA manually do you still get the BSOD.You can try to troubleshoot the error by selectively booting your system and then slowly re-enabling programs at boot. This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.Kaspersky engine in ZASS 7 does not play nice with other security tools hooking on OS at the same time. Disable/remove them before installing ZASS 7.Hope this helps,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

drfazz Guest

Default Re: Loyal ZoneAlarm User may find Alternative to ZoneAlarm Suite - Blue Screen of Death

I've just experienced my latest BSOD - I'm convinced the problem is an incompatibility between ZAPro v7 and Spyware Doctor and the fault is with ZAPro 7, I don't get a BSOD if I run with ZAPro 6.5. I am amazed that Zone Labs has not fixed this problem after about a year of people complaining about it. It shows an arrogance that I have seen in the past with Zone Labs with a previous problem when ZAPro would almost take over the entire PC. I'm tired of getting BSODs, and I'm tired of being ignored by Zone Labs.

The big question now as previous users have indicated is - will Zone Labs listen to its users and fix the problem, or will the arrogance continue, which means we all find another, more reliable firewall, marketed by an organisation that is customer responsive. There's a group of us where I work that all use ZAPro, but not for much longer.

If we don't hear from Zone Labs within a reasonable period of time, I'll be posting information about alternative firewall products on this forum to assist other users with switching away from Zone Labs

Zone Labs be warned - listen to your customers or you won't have any.

Hi!incompatibility with Spyware Doctor and ZA have been fixed (by Spyware Doctor) a long time ago. Update your version of Spyware Doctor.Unless they have reintroduced a bug...Spyware Doctor has overlapping features with SD (OSfirewall in ZAPRO and various control shield in SD) to avoid conflicts you need to turn OFF them (in one of the two). SD is regarded by many as a real resource hog, there lighter and better application out there that are even free.Please read the ToS of this forum you have agreed by posting here. And also note that this forum is not monitored by ZA staff, we are all user helping each other with ZA. The use of other firewalls or genaral chatare not the subject of this forum, this is a ZA USER support forum. There are indeed many generic discussion forum where you canpos about other firewall.I thank you in advance for your understanding.Cheers,Fax

drfazz Guest

In response to the last post, I am running the latest Zone Alarms (7) and Spyware Doctor (5.5.1.322). when I have both running I get a BSOD. Zone Alarms is set to only handle the firewall and SD is set to only scan for spyware, OnGuard protection is off. I cannot have both products running at the same time, i.e. the bug is NOT fixed.

Regards

Hi!
    Well, ZA never liked SD and vice versa.
    This is since the ZA7 release.

If you want to continue to use SD you should look for an alternative security solution.
    You should report both to ZA support and SD support.

Cheers,
    Fax

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>drfazz wrote:
    In response to the last post, I am running the latest Zone Alarms (7) and Spyware Doctor (5.5.1.322). when I have both running I get a BSOD. Zone Alarms is set to only handle the firewall and SD is set to only scan for spyware, OnGuard protection is off. I cannot have both products running at the same time, i.e. the bug is NOT fixed.

Regards
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IMHO, if you are determained to Stay with PC Toold Spyware Doctor and wish to used Zone Alarm Firewall, then you should try ZAFree,The Purpose ofthe SECURITY SUITE, is to provide Full coverage in one Package,..

When you add other Security programge they may Conflict with the Security Suite or even result is less protection..b.) some Computer Users think that if one Firewall and anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better? Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. This can also apply so some versions of Anti-Spyware programs like Spyware Doctor..

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

drfazz Guest

I fully understand that if you use the full SECURITY SUITE you should only use on product. I'm not using the full security suite, I have been using computers for over 40 years and am no novice - please keep your patronising supercilious tone for someone else.

I've been using just Zone Alarms Pro for many years, and I've also been using Spyware Doctor for several years. They used to work okay together but now with ZA encroaching into other areas such as spyware (whether you want to or not), it now conflicts with what Spyware has been doing okay for some time. I did not ask Zone Alarms to give me a spyware function in their firewall, but I have no choice. it seems that even if I turn it off, it still operates in the background, which is what causes the conflict and the BSOD. All I'm asking for is for Zone Alarms to ensure that if I do not want their spyware function to operate in Zone Alarms Pro, then make sure it IS turned off.

We are All users here in this ZA User Forum, No ZoneAlarm Employees monitor this Forum..The Zonelabs Customer Service and ZA Tech Support do not monitor this User Forum..If you wish to make a suggestion for a Change in Features, you need to Contact a Zonelabs Employeeby contacting ZA Customer Service either at www.zonealarm.com/csformor click on the Customer Service Icon at the bottom of this message..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Actually, if the antispyware scanner in the ZA is permanently off and never to be used ever, then start the windows in the safe mode, delete the srescan driver (.sys) and delete the srescan from the registry. Clean the recycle bin and reboot.

Issue is then solved until the next ZA update which will install the driver again, so just repeat the above advice once again.

Personally, the pctools spyware scanner has caused more conflict and bsod issues with the ZA then I care to even think about. I wish pctools would fix their software and create proper code for a nice change and stop interferring with the ZA.
    It now longer is funny any more. Their joke is getting worn out.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information