Thread: My friend Oldsod

alp Guest

Default My friend Oldsod

I took your suggestion to go with ZA Pro and Kaspersky AV when my ZASS subscription expired and I'm afraid that I still have an issue. This is it: VSMON hogs my CPU and keeps me from using anything on my machine for a good minute after
    ZA starts. I tried not loadiing ZA at startup. i.e., starting it manually once Windows is up and running, but I have the same dopey issue. Any ideas ?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: My friend Oldsod

Hi ALP!

You did a complete uninstall of the previous ZA?

I do from time to time give some help out about the KAV and the ZA, so please check out this thread..

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=43198

That is the basic instruction to get the two powerful applications to work together.

Also in the KAV, turn off the scan on the startup. The KAV has this on by default settings. This feature to actually have a choose is not available in the ZAISS, but is an option available in the KAV. The scan on startup or boot does lag the PC startups. So turning it off does make for a smoother startup. Plus at every startup the KAV does an update, so the combined update and mini-scan on startup is probably what is causing the high CPU use.

I will talk to you later and see if the basic ideas worked.

By the way ALP, the KAV will do an upgrade soon to the KAV6 to the KAV7. When that happens, check out the kaspersky labs site for downloads and then the downloads for their clients and then get a direct download for the latest version. Then uninstall the KAV6 then install the KAV7.

Till then, take care.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-10-2007 09:03 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Oh wait, I found an even earlier post about ZAPro and the KAV. It goes like this:

The first thing that comes to mind is the DNS and DHCP servers listed as Trusted in the Zones of the ZA firewall?

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The loopback or localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone, in the Program list of the Program Control.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Disable the email monitor of the ZA- just use the KAV email controls instead. Firstly using two at the same time is unneccessary and it could be causing the problem. The email checking the antivirus is superior to the ZA email checking. You could disable the antivirus monitor of the ZA since this will save some resources and is not required for the KAV ( it updates and runs just fine by itself)

The problem could be in the Web Scanner of the KAV itself.

Right click the KAV icon in the tray
    Select the Settings
    Select the Web Antivirus under the Protection in the left side
    Select the Custom button on the right
    Uncheck the buffering scan and select the streaming scan instead.
    Sites that are very safe can be manually entered into the Trusted URL list.
    This may help.
    If the problem persists then try unchecking the Web antivirus.

First make sure the zlclient.exe and the vsmon are both listed in the Application Integrity Control of the Proactive Defense of the Settings. Enter these two under the Critical Applications and use Allow and Do Not Log for all three settings.

Second in the Settings once again open the Protection and open the Trusted Zone- enter the vsmon.exe and the zlclient.exe in the Trusted Applications with all possible allowed rights. In the Exclusion Mask tab enter the C\Program File\Zone Labs and the C\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs folder with all possible rights.

Third in the Settings, click the Web Anti-virus and click Custom tab. In the Scan method there are two choices- limited and complete scanning. Select the limited for a trial. Please remember that the alternative browsers such as FireFox and Opera do not need the web scanner, since the caches are not connected to the Windows OS. This is only intended for the IE usage. Also the trusted URLs can be entered and this will eliminate the web scanner to be applied for these sites. If there still is an issue betwwen the ZA Privacy and the Web scanner then disable the Web scanner entirely in the General of the Web Scanner of the Settings. Also note that when the full scan is enabled in the Web scanner the KAV6 does require more updates after updating. It will often require the reboot after updating, where as the streaming scan will require less reboots after updating. If the fireFox or the Opera or another non IE-based type of browser is your main browser, the web scanner can be completetly disabled since it is just for the IE security.

Open the Program list of the Zone Alarm of the Program Control and for the avp.exe do the following:

Three green bars and checks for the Trusted and Internet Zones and for the server rights for the Trusted Zone and a red X for the server rights for the Internet Zone.

Right click it and click the Changes Frequently and in the Options, click the application interaction , allow privacy and use other for internet access and the component control. De-select the MD5 check and use the application file name only. Do this for the avp.com also (use the Add button and use all files in the lower drop down, to find it).

In the Privacy of the ZA Privacy site list, make sure all kaspersky sites are listed with all green checks for the Mobile Code.

Now reboot and try it.

The latest KAV6 version and the ZAPro work fine together for me and it should do the same for you.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alp Guest

Oldsod:

Did most everything you suggested except that typing in ipconfig yields nothing in te way of DNS or DHCP info. Wha tthe heck am I doing wrong ?
    I get no display at all when I type in ipconfig
    at the Win 2000 Pro run command. If I type this in at the Command Prompt, I get the following info.: ipconfig is not recognized as a internal or external command.

Used the ipconfig /all command? A space is left between the ipconfig and the /all? Hit the enter key after typing it in?

Try ipconfig and a space and then type in help and hit the enter key. See if a menu of ipconfig commands appears.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alp Guest

Oldsod:

Tried all of the above suggestions.............I still get the same message that ipconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Try this:

Open the registry (start > run > type in regedit > ok and in the registry editor look for this key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\T cpip\Parameters\Interfaces

Below it will be Interfaces and open one of these, usually the first one listed will have all of the required information. If not then continue to the next interface listed and look for the info.

The "default gateway" ( your router or dhcp from the provider or the modem) should be listed with the correct IP for the DHCP. Use this for the DHCP server IP. It may also list a dhcp server with 255.255.255.255 and if so ignore this one (this is just multicast and not a true IP).

There should be a "name server" listed. The name server IS the DNS. There should be one or two IP's listed. These are your DNS server IP's.

I hope this works for your OS since I am using XP as a guide.

Cheers.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-10-2007 10:40 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Okay another approach to determine the DHCP.

Start > Run > type in command and Ok > in the command type in tracert google.com > the first IP listed will be the DHCP IP. This IP should be in the 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 range or in the 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 range. If the second IP listed is in one of these ranges then include it also as Trusted.

It is also possible that the router is doing DNS for the PC, in which case, the providers DNS server's IP are skipped.

Check the ZA firewall log and look for any mention of your provider and a UDP port 53 being used in conjunction with the provider. That IP being listed should be your DNS server IP(s) and list it as Trusted.

It is possible to phone up your provider and just ask about the correct DNS address. Or contact a very-well trusted friend who uses the same provider and ask them as to what the correct DNS address that is to be used.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information