Thread: Parental Control

myroseml Guest

Default Parental Control

I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite v7. The Parental Control feature is great to have, but this feature is to easy to disable.
    All you have to do is double click on the taskbar icon, go to the Parental Control option and click on On or Off. Parental Control should be password enabled and disabled so that no one (including my 14 and 9 year old children) can turn it on or off, or change the settings without a password.
    Also, another security option that would be nice is
    the use of a Password to
    disable the program once it is started. Right clicking on the taskbar icon and choosing Shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite is too easy to figure out.
    If someone really was determined to kill ZoneAlarm, they could always go to
    the System Configuation Utility and go to Startup and uncheck the zlclient Startup Item and reboot. They could then surf the net, clean the browser history, temp files, and cookies, and then recheck the zlclient Startup Item and reboot with no one the wiser.
    Do the people at ZoneAlarm read these messages and if not, how can I send these suggestions to ZoneAlarm? Does anyone know where there link is on their website?
    What do you all think?
    Thanks

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Parental Control

To prevent your children from changing your Parental Control settings, set a Zone Labs security software password. See Setting your password .<hr>Setting your password <a target="_blank"></a>

By setting a password, you prevent anyone but you from shutting down or uninstalling Zone Labs security software, or changing your security settings. Setting a password will not prevent other people from accessing the Internet from your computer.<a target="_blank"></a>

The ability to create a password is not available in ZoneAlarm.<a target="_blank"></a>

If your version of Zone Labs security software was installed by an administrator with an installation password, that administrator can access all functions.<a target="_blank"></a>

When you set a password for the first time, be sure to log out before leaving your computer. Otherwise, others can still change your settings.<a target="_blank"></a>

To set or change a Zone Labs security software password:
    1. <a target="_blank"></a>
    [*]Select Overview|Preferences.<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Click Set Password.<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Type your password and password verification in the fields provided.<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Select Allow others to use programs without a password (unless the program permission is set to &quot;Block&quot to allow others to use programs you haven't explicitly blocked, even if they don't have a password.<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Click OK.<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>

<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a>
    [img]mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Zone%20Labs\ZoneA larm-6.5.737~9-8-06\Help\zaclients.chm::/images/noteicon2.gif[/img]<a target="_blank"></a>Valid passwords are between 6 and 31 characters long. Valid characters include A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and characters !,@,#,$,%,^,&amp;,*.

<a target="_blank"></a>

Once you have set a password, you must log in before you can change settings, shut down the TrueVector security engine, or uninstall Zone Labs security software.<hr>Right click your ZA tray icon, see &quot;Help&quot; this is your User Guide; it has all the common settings, customizations plus explanations.:8}NaiveMelody NYC 6-3-07 - When I'm Sixty-Four - The Beatles

Oh, if you use the ZA Free version - you don't have a password option.

jcjrogers Guest

Another question.
    I'm interested in purchasing Zone Alarm Internet Security but I would like two functions in regards to parental controls:
    1) The ability to give different users different access rights.
    I want to regulate access differently for my two kids (one is 3 years older than the other).
    Can I do this?
    2) The ability to make parental controls changes remotely.
    The kids' PC is upstairs and mine is downstairs.
    I have a condition, which makes it difficult to climb up and down the stairs to change parental controls options, every time the kids hit a legitimate sight, which has been filtered by the parental controls.

My old 2005 Trend Micro TMSS program gave me these abilities, but unfortunately was discontinued by Trend Micro.

naivemelody Guest

jcjrogers, from what I've read from the ZA User Guide (right click ZA tray icon - click &quot;Help&quot ZA Suite's Parental Control is not extensive enough to cover your two basic questions/needs, but to be sure, you can contact ZA tech support by email - if you have the time or need for it - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp. Sorry, ZA Suite was not able to meet those two needs; but I will leave you with one side track note/tip - currently ZA website is selling their ZA Suite with a 3 PC User license for the same price as a single - standard sale priced at $49.95 - you have at least two pc's mentioned - you can set the children's pc with over 30+ filters, with your security password and have your own pc - anyway you want it. http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...mp;lid=ho_zass
    .<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 6-10-07 - Blue Bayou - Linda Ronstadt

jcjrogers Guest

Thanks NaiveMelody.
    I'll try tech support.

Thread Information