Thread: Zone alarm 6.0 lock up with GLB40 or any temporary folder when installing software

Hybrid View

madmikexp Guest

Default Zone alarm 6.0 lock up with GLB40 or any temporary folder when installing software

Hi, I'm currently having a problem with zone alarm 6.0.631.002. The reason why I'm using this current version because I am trying to avoid a conflict problem with Gateway P3 751mhz and NOD32.Very long
    Story: about 4 days ago I was using zone alarm 7.0 and very few problems with it. one day the ZA asked me to update it...... it was asking me every 4 hours a day last week to update, so I gave in and said screw it let it update.... tuesday morning my system is hitting 100% CPU Usage and when a program needs permission for internet or system resources (Files or Folders) -GLB40- temporary folder it locks up and forces me to reboot the PC. My PC can't take so much abuse with me having to a hard reboot and in the end cost me 2 sticks of RAM or 1 of my HDD's which I don't need dying.
    So I reinstalled XP pro sp2
    put in that zone alarm version as stated above. the problem I have with this is that when I install software it will go through and make it to the end however though it won't finish until I hit ctrl-alt-del and then zone alarm says the program is
    making a dangerous behavoir movements example: monitoring what the user is doing and it will help the user access a certain feature or whatever and then it locks up I also noticed zone alarm is pointing to GLB40 temporary folder or other temporay folders whn setting up software.
    Can anybody offer any help that would help me continue using this version
    or use another 6.0 version of ZA
    until ZoneAlarm crew fixes version 7.0 ? don't get me wrong I love zone alarm since version 5.0 and up along with a tag team NOD32 stopping trojans from getting important data.
    Would it be good to setup my netgear wireless router firewall for my pc ? been trying to avoid it.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Zone alarm 6.0 lock up with GLB40 or any temporary folder when installing software

Hi MadMikeXP and welcome to the forum.

Almost every GLB type of file is located in the Temp folder. They are used just for an install and after that, they are no longer needed. Often there is a glb prefecth file remmant in the Prefetch folder of the WINDOWS folder. These can be all safely removed/deleted either manually or with a file/reg cleaner such as CCleaner (freeware).

Then any GLB entry in the ZA can be removed from the ZA listing.

You may have to open the OSFirewall section of the ZA and change the Startup entry to Allow. This will allow for new startups.

THe Program Control slider should be set at Medium for the time being, to get the ZA "trained".

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

As for ZA constant updating, just turn off the Automatic updater and set it to Manual. This shuld give some peace and quiet.

The wireless Netgear router is a good idea. The added SPI and NAT does provide excellent inbound security. Just make sure that the WPA or WEP of the router is enabled. It is usually recommended to change the default password and userlogin name to something else to make the router safer.

To get optimal settings for the ZA with and without a router, do this:

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply for each one.
    4. The loopback must be listed as Trusted. It has the address of 127.0.0.1
    5 The Generic Host Process or the svchost.exe listed in the Program list must have both Trusted and Internet access and it must have server rights for the Trusted Zone, but not the Internet Zone.

http://zonelabs.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Cheers,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-08-2007 06:10 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

madmikexp Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm 6.0 lock up with GLB40 or any temporary folder when installing software

Thanks alot for the advice when I gave certain software installation packages permisssion to do whatever they wanted to do my pc didn't lock up at the end of the installtion plus when I ran the program say like wintv2000 it went ahead and opened up instead crashing with zonealarm saying it needs permission or spots dangerous behavior coming from the program itself.
    I do have 3 questions though
    1.Would it be a good idea and turn off zone alarm 6 for about 2 hours
    and see if the netgear wireless router can handle blocking certain hackers or trojans come banging on my PC's door ?
    2.If I know I will need to install software say like flash 8 or Dreamweaver or etc can I automatically tell zone alarm permission so the Installaion and ZA won't have a problem at the end and lock up again ?
    3. Until ZA 7 becomes reupdated what is the current version of ZA 6 I should use temporarily
    with the current problem I have now ?
    Ok the Problem has come back again only when ever I execute the newly installed software it will lock up and freeze when asking permission for ZA to access the internet or access certain resources........X-(

Message Edited by MadMikeXP on 06-08-200706:43 PM

Hi MadMikeXP

No need to turn off the software firewall to see if it works properly. Just do a ShieldsUp! test. It will scan the router which is physically before the PC and show if the basic ports are stealthed.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Set the Program Control slider to medium. This will actually put the ZA in a training mode. Or low to reduce it's effectiveness.

Usually for older versions of the ZA Pro, I would suggest the 6.1.744.001 It is probably the very best version of the 6.x series. The next best alternative would be the 6.5.737.000 The OSFirewall in the 6.1.744.001 is not as complicated as the later versions, so there is less issues. It is more of off or on type rather than having various adjustments.

See the ZAPro download and History at ..

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

If you are going to uninstall the ZAPro and go back to an earlier version, then use the " /clean" uninstall.

Like this...

Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties
    Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe"
    Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(add a space and then the /clean )
    Click OK to save the new command line.

Open the ZA and disable the "Load Zone Alarm at startup" found in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot.

Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Uninstall Zone Labs Security
    Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.
    say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.
    Reboot
    After rebooting, check for the following folders, and delete them if you find them:

"Internet Logs" (under your Windows Folder)

"Zone Labs" (under your Program Files folder)

"Zonelabs" (under your Windows System32 folder)
    Empty your recycle bin
    Reboot

After the ZA is re-installed, then do this to make sure the DNS and DHCP servers are properly configured...

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply for each one.
    4. The loopback must be listed as Trusted. It has the address of 127.0.0.1
    5 The Generic Host Process or the svchost.exe listed in the Program list must have both Trusted and Internet access and it must have server rights for the Trusted Zone, but not the Internet Zone.

http://zonelabs.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Best regards,

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

madmikexp Guest

Thanks oldsod I finally got Zone Alarm 6 to work with me and learn my habits. Would you recommend me going back to the latest version zone alarm 7 with the current settings I have for version 6 ? also my routers firewall is protecting way to well.....
    Here is a number of steps that hackers will have to do in order to get my system
    1.Router Firewall2.zone alarm3. advanced version windows firewall sp24. NOD32 latest version5.placing a Trojan or Virus on my systems back door port or have their trojan reflected right back at them and yes it is possible to do this, illegal yes, but well worth it for the hacker to not have his
    system and he gets a much longer sentence in jail than I do.

Hi MadMikeXP

If the ZA Pro version 6 is okay then stay with it for now. get used to it and then the upgrade to the version 7 will be easy.

Cheers.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information