Thread: Giving up on ZASS - almost

ukandy Guest

Default Giving up on ZASS - almost

Hi,

A few days ago, I posted here because after installing the trial version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, Windows Explorer crashed during startup, and every other application crashed with a memory exception when started.

The cause was suggested as the Logitech QuickCam software that was installed on my PC, and after uninstalling this ZASS did seem to run just fine - for a few hours.

I started a full scan with maximum options, and about 2 hours into the scan, although everything had been working OK up to that point, Windows Explorer crashed, and every application crashed with a memory exception again when started.

I have uninstalled and and reinstalled ZASS numerous times, uninstalled every single application that I don't use on a daily basis, and still ZASS kills my machine. In fact, ZASS has caused me more problems in a few hours than viruses have in over 20 years.

What I can't understand is how ZASS always gets rave reviews, and why these problems aren't experienced by reviewers.

Am I just very unlucky, or more likely, is there a fundamental flaw in ZASS that isn't being reported?

If somebody can tell me what I need to do to get this working (without having to re-engineer my PC), then I'll give it another shot, otherwise I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Regards,

Andy

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

evensteven Guest

Default Re: Giving up on ZASS - almost

First of all this forum is NOT monitored by Tech Support, therefore you will need to contact them about any question you may have about the so called reviews.

Go to the following thread and it should solve your uninstall/reinstall issues of ZA

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...d=48395#M48395

Hi!I am sorry to hear that you have still problems with ZASS. I have been running ZASS 7 on three system without problems... but in you specific case looks like ZASS does not really like your system.Follow what EvenSteven as suggest but also do the following:Try to scan your system with ZASS antivirus/antispyware in SAFE MODE (you need to run ZASS manually). Does your system still crash?If not, there is still something conflicting with ZASS running at boot.Try to run your system selectively. First only with normal OS programs/services and ZASS and then slowly puteverything backin order tofind the culprit.This way:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and CA ISafe Service (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer and try the scan again.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    If you find the conflicting application please post back and report. Itwill be useful for other users...Hope this helps,Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ukandy Guest

Thanks for your help Fax, but if I'm going to pay for a piece of software, I expect it to work out-of-the box, and not have to reconfigure my whole system to accommodate it.

All of ZoneAlarm's main competitors work on my system without any glitches, and the only reason I tried ZA was because of the good reviews.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Regards,

Andy

Hi!yes, I perfectly understand... no need to post back your ZASS issues if you are moving away...Good luck with your new security tools!Cheers,Fax

shieber Guest

There are so many decent security programs out there. No need to sweat over installation or operation with any particular brand.

Hi!welcome back, this a ZAuser support forum and not a discussion platform...If you have anything useful to say to help the user with ZA issue please do so... I am sure it will be appreciated.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information