Thread: System becomes unusable

Hybrid View

kamasama Guest

Default System becomes unusable

After installing ZIS 7.1 15-day trial for Windows Vista Business, my desktop slows to less than a crawl every time I open a web browser or attempt to update virus definitions with the only remedy being a reboot. I tried to see what was causing it in Task Manager, but it gave me some security dialog and I couldn't access it -- I suppose ZoneAlarm reduced my privileges. I managed to open a Sysinternals program called Process Explorer and it showed that my entire CPU was being (evenly) used by "DPCs" and "Interrupts". After turning off Program Control and rebooting I was able to open Task Manager, and was surprised to learn that it was Task Manager taking all the CPU; actually the top spot was traded between a few other programs as well, notable the browser and dwm.exe. After uninstalling the problem seems to have vanished, although it appears that at least one of my quarantined malware has reinfected the computer. Does anyone know how this can be fixed or could recommend the second best Internet Security Suite?

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)

Default Re: System becomes unusable

Hi!probably it is better to clean your system before installing ZASS, or trying to run ZASS in SAFE MODE in order to completely remove virus infections...A compromised system may be difficult to recover.. Antivirus/antispyware tools are usually good to keep malware out of the system but not necessarily good to clean infested machines.... You may experience slow boot for the first two, three days... its normal, ZASS need to learn all your programs.... after the week training it should work normally....Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kamasama Guest

I did scan in safe mode like you suggested, but it didn't help the issue. However, I did try the Kaspersky trial as well and noticed the same thing happen, so perhaps it is just their engine that is the problem. I'll ask in their forum.

Thanks.

Hi!post back if you find a solution.. it may help other users both KAV or ZASS...Thanks,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information