Thread: Stop tray icon showing network traffic

simonororke Guest

Default Stop tray icon showing network traffic

There does not appear to be a way to stop Zone Alarm Security Suite 7's tray icon showing network traffic. If there is, I would like to know it. If not, I would like to see an enhancement to allow it as an option.

As Zone Alarm's Help says about the icon's behaviour, "This does not imply that you have a security problem, or that the network traffic is dangerous". Indeed. So why not make it optional? I find it mild distracting. Often, it is the only thing moving on my screen. It is natural for the eye to be drawn towards moving objects. This dates back to when it was a matter of survival. The reaction of our ancestors to moving objects would have been something like: "Could it hurt me? Or is it good to eat?". That is why animated advertisements on web pages can be so annoying.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Stop tray icon showing network traffic

There isn't a way to stop it behaving like that, but then I've got lots of tiny icons on my toolbar which do the same sort of thing anyway.

yarrow Guest

I find this annoying, too, because of the movement. You can choose not to see the icon at all by following these steps:

1. Right-click the Taskbar
    2. Select Properties from the menu
    3. Select the "Hide inactive icons" check box
    4. Click Customize. This will present a dialog box that includes the icons currently in the System Tray as well icons that installed applications placed there.
    5. For the zonealarm icon in the System Tray, select:
    * "Always hide"

simonororke Guest

Good suggestion. I'll give it a go. I probably won't stick with it though, because I like to make sure ZoneAlarm is fully loaded, taking the tray icon as evidence, before I access the internet.

Thread Information