Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

Default Re: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

Thanks Fax,
    I've taken a browse through the log files, and now I have other questions that I'll ask in another thread.
    Right now though, I thought I'd share the outcome, and seeming resolution to my problem with ZA and my design program.
    Although I saw where my design program had been blocked from accessing the internet, that had nothing to do with the application not loading. Even when I put ZA in game mode, or even shut off the program firewall altogether, my design program would still hang with ZA turned on. Even after turning off lots of uneccessary services and processes, it still would not load. Only when I shut down ZA altogether would it load...
    So, I contacted Tech support about it. Here's what solved my problem (or seems to have). I turned off "On Access Scanning" in the Anti-Virus area, and voila! I have (relatively speaking) instant program loading now. I don't even get time-out issues when outputting machine code for the CAM (computer aided machining).
    I've set the virus scan to scan every evening in the wee hours of the morning, so that it's not interfering with normal business. And the hourly check for updates doesn't really seem to bother anything (although ZA really needs to give us more control over that - I'd set it to run every evening also, an hour before the scan) so I've left that alone also.
    So I'm a much happier camper now that this program may even work for us... Now to go set it up on everyone else's computer.. maybe.

Default Re: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

Great!Glad to hear that ZA Technical support managed to troubleshoot your problem...Well, one warning: Disabling on access AV means basically thatyou are out of virus checking onthe machine.So, be careful on what you dowhen without AV/AS protection.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

Ok..Well is it possible to run On Access Scanning, but allow an exception for this program in the rules, so that this program is allowed free access to anything it wants, without getting bogged down by the scan everytime it wants to do something?

Message Edited by Tekncl-Kwestyn on 07-06-2007 10:15 AM

Hi!nope, as far as I know, you can't exclude files/folder from the "on access" scanning only malware thread.Fax

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Well, one warning: Disabling on access AV means basically that
    you are out of virus checking on
    the machine.So, be careful on what you do
    when without AV/AS protection.<hr>

Well, I'm not really out of virus checking, I'm out of virus prevention, correct? In other words, it won't catch the virus
    at the moment
    I get into trouble, but
    it will still scan every evening if I want it to, correct?
    Of course my second comment is what good is having virus prevention, if you can't do any work on the computer because it drags the resources down so bad you can't run your programs? It makes the PC worthless.
    I've never had so much trouble with getting a program to run (unless you count trying to get DOS based game programs to work with windows 98), and play nice with other programs and the PC. You wouldn't expect this from an &quot;award winning&quot; software...
    I thought I had it licked, but I came in this morning, and the one PC I thought I would have NO trouble with had to shut ZA down just to get IE, Outlook, and Excel to work....
    I am NOT having a good time with this program.X-(</blockquote>

Hi!it look like you are having conntinous and persistent problems with ZA.... Wouln't be better to ask for refund and look for an alternative solutions?Cheers,Fax

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

I've already asked if I could get a refund. The folks I bought it from said they couldn't take it back since the package had been opened.

Hi!Well, continue to follow up with ZA Technical support... we can't do nothing here we are all users...You can also try directly to ZA customer support: www.zonelabs.com/csform Cheers,Fax

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

I finally got a response from Technical Support about disabling On Access Scanning.
    I don't know if I can quote them directly, but essentially they said that if you have mapped drives or shared drives (which is typical for shared database applications) then On Access Scanning will attempt to scan the whole drive as it gets information about it. This will bog down even the fastest app I'm sure. But in my case the application is already slow, and I can't afford for it to get any slower! Of course disabling On Access Scanning will defeat any real time protection, but what's a guy to do? If you have protection you can't be productive. If you're productive, then you don't have protection.
    This would be an excellent case for creating exception rules or something like it.
    Just thought I'd let y'all know the details.

Thank you very much for posting back the feedback from Tech.Support...Cheers,Fax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information