Thread: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

Hybrid View

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

Default ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

Takes a good three minutes for everything to settle down once the system is booted from a standing start.
    This last time I tried to start a program, I finally had to shut ZA all the way off after 10 minutes, just for my app to load.
    This is totally unacceptable.
    I've uninstalled Symantec according to instructions, I've uninstalled all other anti-spyware and possible HIBS apps. I've run CCleaner multiple times, I've even uninstalled ZASS and re-installed it.
    I'm so fed up with this thing I could just gladly toss it, and just re-up my Symantec subscription and to heck with it if I hadn't already bought the 10 user license.
    Can someone help me get this DOA to work?
    Frustrated and Fuming....
    Jim

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

Hi!Well, slowdown has been an issue since version 6.5. It depends on many factor and ZALabs always have reported that cannot replicate it consistently in test machines...I have seen many different explanations, from NERO applications to Nvidia control center, nvdia nTunes, Spysweeper shields, Spyware doctor,AMD machines, not updated drivers, Catalyst Control Center, microsoft desktop search, low memory, and so on...1. Disable unnecessary services running at startup;2. Using msconfig to isolate the application/services creating problems to ZA3. Check system logs and see if there is any error or services delaying the boot or hangingOn point 1, see here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=45951On point 2 try the following:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    On point3 do the following:Go to start --> Run --> type eventvwr --> double click on "system" and review the log.Any services taking a long time to start? (see timing between one and another service)Hope this helps,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

Default Re: ZASS causes extreme system slowdown - long boot times, applications won't load

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!Well, slowdown has been an issue since version 6.5.It depends on many factor and ZALabs always have reported that cannot replicate it consistently in test machines...

<hr></blockquote>It's interesting that the commonality between all the scenario's you mention is any version of ZA past 6.5.
    What was added to the program to bog it down so bad? What did ZoneLabs change? They need to change it back....X-(

Anyway, we're stuck with what we've got, so I'll try out what you suggest... Thank you for you help.:8}
    What about a clean install? I think a couple of things glitched up when I did the last install, I believe my disk is an earlier version, and I used it instead, and then upgraded. Of course then I uninstalled, and when I tried to re-install, somehow the earlier installer was running, so then I re-re-installed (if I remember correctly). Would this kind of thing tend to cause a slowdown?
    Yesterday's slowdown was kinda weird, because my design program seemed to run fine in the AM, but in the afternoon, I couldn't even get it to load, or even get task manager to come up, and when it did come up, I could see that the cpu was coming off a maximum load... I finally just shut ZA off in frustration. I'm about to give up on this thing (substitute favorite &quot;word&quot; here).

Message Edited by Tekncl-Kwestyn on 07-03-2007 09:13 AM

Hi!cleaner is your system, better ZA will perform... this is the general principle you should always keep in mind.IF you are running ZASS do not start adding other security tools on top of it... or your system will become slower and slower....Be sure to run registry/system cleaner before installing ZASS. Do no trust the many retail registry fixers... they do more damage than repair.Start a a nice fresh/clean installation of ZASS. I have posted before how to do it. But I'll post it again.Install ZASS to default location (C:\programs files...). Are you running a non -Eglish version of the OS?Try not to play too much with settings if you don't know what are you doing....Keep it simple and ZASS will work fine for you.To clean UNinstall you need to follow CLOSELYthis procedure:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlThen, to wipe OFF any left overs followthis step:Go to Start &gt; Search &gt; Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results panel.Note: if you re using McAfee software be sure to check the vsutil.dll if found: right click the file and choose Properties. Verify it belongs to ZoneLabs. If it does not do not remove it. Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.Empty the Recycle Bin.Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) Re-download the installer from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ Install with default settings, do not alter them....Once rebooted manual update the antivirus/antispyware signature ('update now' under the antivirus/antispyware tab)After the update perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan.Cheers,FaxP.S. Whenever you need to upgrade an existing version of ZASS just follow these (below) simple steps for a smooth and troublefree upgrade:1. Download the new ZASS installer: http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ 2. Clean your registry/system. Ccleaner is an excellent utility for this. www.ccleaner.com (do not install the yahoo toolbar)3. Backup your ZA settings (overview --&gt; preferences)4. On your current ZA, Uncheck "Load ZA... at startup" (overview --&gt; preferences)5. Reboot your system6. Install the new update (upgrade or clean).The above may only fail if you have conflicting security tools installed (e.g. Spyware Doctor. System Mechanics priot to 7.1.5),malware infections or messy OSAnd if ZA is acting weird (should not be the case).. just clean install and restore settings.

tekncl_kwestyn Guest

Thanks for the help Fax,
    I followed the uninstall/re-install instructions to the letter. So I'm fairly certain that it's a good install this time. The only interruption was when Windows Defender decided it was time for a scan after the post re-install reboot.... Grrrrr...X-( This brings up a question... Are ZA and Win Defender compatible? Will it harm anything for me to leave it installed or should I just uninstall it?
    Anyway, I shut that down, and the rest of the install/configuration went off without a hitch.
    Unfortunately that did not cure the slowdown for my app to load. It took 30 seconds for the log in box to pop up, and nearly 6 minutes for the application to fully load. That's not including the slowdown after trying to load a job, or the countless times I have to click &quot;retry&quot; when trying to output machine code from the app....
    So I guess I'm off to try cleaning up running processes, etc. that you describe in your first response. Great fun that.... In the instructions over on Black Viper site, he says not to us msconfig, instead he says to use &quot;services.msc&quot;, so that you don't screw up. So.. which do you recommend?
    Thanks,Jim

Hi!as already mentioned in another thread to you, there is little value in installing Windows Defender if you are running ZASS.Machine get dirty by adding and removing programs all the time. Even the best regsitry cleaner is not able to clean your system to its original state.It is useful to use imaging software to take a snapshot of your HD and image back when finished testing or installling software...Yes, you need to use services.msc to disable windows services...Cheers,Fax

Thread Information