Thread: zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe file size too large?

mikemac Guest

Default zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe file size too large?

I just noticed the file size of the free version is 39,784kb, much larger than the previous free versions file sizes through 65_737 of 13,397kb. It's also much larger than the pro version file of 15,075kb. What's up with this, anything to be concerned about? Thanks ps, i have not installed v7 yet, I've only downloaded it.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe file size too large?

Yes, it is the right size.

mikemac Guest

Thanks for your prompt reply. Just curious, do you have any idea why ZA would need to *TRIPLE* the file size from previous versions and the pro version? Does this give the firewall a larger footprint and make it run slower? Is there stuff in there that a "firewall only" user like myself doesn't need? Anything I should disable? Would you advise not upgrading to v7? I'm thinking of the recent forum complaints I've read of version 7 running very slow and clogging up PCs. Any tips you can provide on running lean and clean will be appreciated. Thanks again! Mike BTW; i use ZA free, AVG, spybot S&D and spywareblaster, and I'm behind a Netgear WGT624v2 firewall router (wireless disabled) - it works great! I formerly used PC-cillin until they wanted to take over the firewall market and interfered with, I think, ZAF, so i dropped PCC and switched to AVG, and found AVG to be much better!

naivemelody Guest

MikeMac, some recent changes in the new version ZA 7 x Free version XP/2000
    -"only", which we ourselves slowly discovered - There is a ZA Security Suite
    hidden underneath the ZA 7x Free. Which the 'phantom' non-functioning Kaspersky av in there (may ?
    conflict with your
    anti-virus plus other functions)
    >>
    Solution - Firstuninstall/delete ZA 7 x
    Free and then install the old version 6.5.737 ZA Free
    of Aug. 31, 2006 - here is the link -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    . -to the Release History page -
    go to 6.5 Branch - and find 6.5.737.000 - to download this version, if successful; your
    system will be working again} - [ later, you may get a ZA program update box - you may not want to automatically update that - this would be an update to the new ZA 7 x Free, again,
    - not again - tell it to remind you in 60 days- repeat and rinse, wait until further developments].<hr>Some reasoning behind the change [my opinions only]- ZA 'marketing' - when you go to the regular download for ZA 7x Free XP- they give you two options - one
    for a &quot;free 15 day trial of the ZA Suite (top of the line/bread and butter) and one directly ZA Free &gt;both choices will lead to the same ZA Suite installer; with the ZA Free designed to have the Suite features shutoff/non-functioning and of course the the 15 day trial will have all features on. ZA is 'wishing' that many of the ZA Free users will try or eventually upgrade to other paid ZA products, so having the entire 'suite installed initially' will save or prevent version upgrade corruptions/problems. Also economizes with servers of so many different ZA
    products.<hr>My view, if you want to, you can try ZA Free 7x. If there are any problems - we do a few proven solutions and you can always rollback to 6.5.
    Generally, 6.5 is more stable and easier to work with; but then there is a large majority of ZA 7x Free users who are also quite satisfied with 7x - so really don't be too discouraged until you 'try.' If you have a laptop, go with the smaller 6.5 ; desktop 7x no problem.<hr>>2nd Alternate Solution - others who wish to upgrade to ZA 7x, on a budget - an alternative to rolling back or staying with ZA 6.5 Free - I would suggest going up a level in security by getting ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware 7.0.337 - at about 14.2 MB it's just a bit more than ZA 6.5 Free plus you get a &quot;real improvement in firewall protection&quot; and a &quot;top rated anti-spyware&quot; -
    for $19.95 for one year of updates - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...mp;lid=ho_zaas
    . This ZA product has the Operating System Firewall (OS Firewall) which is more advanced than the simple firewall in ZA free versions; in all of the paid versions of ZA products - this the heart of ZA protection - see comparison chart - click left tabs for more info. -
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...st2_comparison
    . This a simple to use, less complicated ZA firewall product than ZA suite. I use it myself. With this version, you can use any brand of anti-virus you choose. No worries, no complications. According, to some recent test/reviews - it top rates at #1 or Editor's Choice - see Cnet test/review dated March 19, 2007 - http://reviews.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm_An....html?tag=tool .<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-5-07 - Say It Right - Nelly Furtado

mikemac Guest

Thank you sooooo much, Melody! Now i have a decision framework. You don't sound naive! What a great forum!

Thread Information