Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Printer driver (model 946) incompatible with new Zone Alarm when using Vista

Hybrid View

donlach Guest

Default Dell Printer driver (model 946) incompatible with new Zone Alarm when using Vista

I spent hours over the phone with Dell trying to get my new Dell 946 printer to work correctly with my fresh Vista install. Finally after hanging up, I uninstalled Zone Alarm Security Suite, and enabled Windows Firewall. Printer worked perfectly then. With Zone Alarm installed, the printer was EXTREMELY slow, took 10 minutes to print one test page. Please tell me if its a configuration issue or a bug in Zone Alarm. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Dell Printer driver (model 946) incompatible with new Zone Alarm when using Vista

I will assume you had ZA Suite Vista installed first and then installed the printer, loaded the printer installation CD-Rom, opened ZA - three green barred -super trust level
    all the Dell printer programs that showed up, plus Access &gt; two green checks &gt; Server - one green check - the rest ' ? ' and did the same for 'Spooler Subsystem App' - allowed for any ZA alerts.<hr>And of course you, completely deleted the pre-installed security software that came with the pc - http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154
    use the Tool.<hr>your settings are correct? - http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    .<hr>1 - Please try this, temporarily,
    putting your ZA's Firewall &gt; Main &gt; Internet Zone Security - change from High to Medium does the trick. &lt;&lt;&lt;
    2 - Sometimes it's temporarily shutting off the anti-virus portion(only) . 3- Try shutting off all 'Privacy Protection'. Remember to return to High/on position after a session, yes. Post back results.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 7-19-07 - Signs - Five Man Electrical Band

Default Re: Dell Printer driver (model 946) incompatible with new Zone Alarm when using Vista

It could have been the printer needed server rights for the Trusted zone, not just Access to the Trusted Zone.

Did you try re-installing the driver/software after the ZA was installed?

The Internet Security Zone slider should have no effecrt. But was the Program Control slider set at Medium or Low instead of High, for training the ZA OSfirewall for the changes?

In the OSFirewall itself, was the startups of Programs allowed?

Was the ZA configured properly? Like this...

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

donlach Guest

I believe everything was set up properly but I will reinstall ZA to make sure. I have been running ZA Suite for years with XP with no printer related problems. I was only with Vista that I have this problem, so something tells me it is not the way I have ZA configured, but I'll make sure and report back.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>donlach wrote:
    I believe everything was set up properly but I will reinstall ZA to make sure. I have been running ZA Suite for years with XP with no printer related problems. I was only with Vista that I have this problem, so something tells me it is not the way I have ZA configured, but I'll make sure and report back.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for you Feedback..I'm using ZASS for Vista on Vista Ultimate, and Guru Fax is also running ZASS on Vista Business.. with No Printer problems..however both of us do not use DELL printers..I think Both NaiveMelody and Guru Oldsod's advice is Good and you should to check with DELL Forum and DELL Support Site for a New or Updated Printer Driver for Vista is a Good idea..Dell may not have had time to get all of their Current Printer Drivers included in the MS Vista OS..Please Post back to this Forum with your progress report..Good Luck.---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070719022000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200707.2035
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sunphoenix Guest

I have the same exact problem with my Dell printer 926 ... I had to uninstall ZA nothing else worked.
    I hope ZA will do something about it. Is there another good free firewall out there ?

donlach Guest

I have tried everything that both of you above have suggested, and I still have the same, very slow, printer performance. It takes over 5 minutes to print one test page. It prints, eventually. Nothing fixed this problem. I have a clean install of Vista, no past security software installed. I have come to the conclusion that there is an incompatibility between the Dell drivers and ZA Suite. I will have to run Windows firewall until this is resolved (if ever). Thanks for your help.

You are welcome for the help. However I have no experience with Vista what so ever. Just using past knowledge to try. There are a few Gurus around with Vista OS, but I am not one of them.

You msy consider trying the email support (free) from the ZA Technical Support...

https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

BTW have you posted at the DELL forum? They may have some sane advice.

Somebody there should have some smart ideas.
    Cheers,
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-20-2007 10:52 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

donlach Guest

Yes good idea. I'll be hitting the Dell forums to see if anyone else is having this problem. Remember, the printer still prints, it's just very very slow with ZA Suite running. Weird some kind of time delay action. Thanks again.

cjwertz Guest

I have what appears to be a very similar problem with a new Toshiba Notebook running Vista Home Premium and a Lexmark 2580 printer that I obtained at the same time because Circuit City had a big rebate.

The printer was working OK. Then I got rid of the trial McAfee that came with machine and installed ZoneAlarm for Vista. (Right this minute, I am wondering why.) Then the printing went into sloooow motion. It takes over 3 minutes to print a three line text file from Notepad.

I am waiting for an e mail reply from the ZoneAlarm web page. (I did receive the confirmation message.)

I see this thread is a month old and wonder if there is anything new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information