Thread: Making ZA Load First?

dynasoar Guest

Default Making ZA Load First?

I couldn't find an appropriate place to ask this, or rather it could kind of fit in several places.....

My XP takes quite a while to load, even after turning off some pre-load processes like OpenOffice and Acroread quick open processes. ZA loads last, even after my gmail notifier checks for new mail, leaving my machine unprotected for between 1 and 2 minutes, or even longer if I'm not sitting there to click the gmail button and allow it to finish and move on to loading ZA.

That may seem trivial, but I've seen some network situations where malware hijacked machines could locate an unprotected system and attack it in less than 10 seconds.

Just to be safe, I'd like to change the loading order so that ZA loads and initializes as early as possible in the boot process. How can I do this?

My license is "REMOVED BY OLDSOD. IT IS NOT A SAFE OR GOOD PRACTISE TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW YOUR LICENSE NUMBER. We are protecting your privacy and your license for you, Oldsod"

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-20-2007 03:24 PM

Default Re: Making ZA Load First?

Hi DynaSoar

Actually the ZA firewall driver is loading with the Windows Startup. The internet connections are being safely controlled in the boot or start up of windows. So do not worry at all. The ZA is protecting your PC at all times. Most firewalls will protect in the boot time or startup and the ZA was one of the first to do this extra security precaution.

The reason why the ZA icon appears in the task bar or the icon tray, is because the GUI or the graphic user interface is the last application to load. But the actual firewall has been already loaded and was working long ago. It is just the interface and thge icon that is the last to load. This is done to save some PC resources in the startups and also because the interface is not needed until the actual startup is completed (the desktop is actually useable and so then is the ZA).

Nice to see you are doing some reductions in the startups. This does help with over all PC performance. A good site to help with reducing the windows services is the blackviper site or

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Cheers and the ZA is protecting in both the startups and the shutdowns.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dynasoar Guest

Thanks so much for the very fast answer. I've always appreciated the support I get from you folks.

I'm glad to know it's actually working early on. I should have thought to watch the services and processes loading during boot. And thanks for the link -- this poor overworked Dell discount special needs all the help it can get.

Hi again

Older PC's often can get a good performance improvemnet with extra RAM and usually at a higher speed than what is already installed. An example would be a PC2700 256 card going up to PC3200 using either one extra 512 or two 512 or even up to 1024 board(s). The ram cards are getting cheaper than ever before. Check the DELL's BIOS (F@ tapping at the startup screen) for checking the allowed memory speeds and capability. Check the inside of the PC box for the actual number of slots.

A good tool to help you is also BootVis (from microsoft)...download from here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Cheers.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sangoku Guest

Um, BootVis (Boot *VIisualization* tool) won't fix slow boots, it will just track problems. All the boot optimization in BootVis is already in XP. I wouldn't go loading on MS dev tools unless you've got a real need for them.

From the same link you listed (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...t/default.mspx):

About Bootvis.exe
    Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software.

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows
    XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

-Happy Sangoku

Thread Information