Thread: Yahoo and Skype does not terminate cleanly with ZA for Vista

malambot Guest

Default Yahoo and Skype does not terminate cleanly with ZA for Vista

Anyone else have the problem where you close your Yahoo messenger
    or Skype (beta version is the only one that works with Vista) and they appear to be closed on both the screen and task bar but when you go to task manager the processes for both programs are still there.
    Manually ending
    the processes via the task manager does not work also.
    I've tested and re-tested by installing and removing ZA three times.
    The problem certainly appears when ZA is installed and the problem goes away when ZA is completely uninstalled. I never had this problem with the beta version of ZA for Vista. I'd like to be
    sure this problem is fixed before I purchase ZA Internet Security Suite.
    I'd tried both the trial ZA Internet Security Suite and ZA Free. The results are the same.

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Yahoo and Skype does not terminate cleanly with ZA for Vista

Hi!I have just tried in my VISTA machine + Skype + ZASS and it works fine. If I quit skype the related executable is removed from task manager. It must be something else in combination with ZASS.Have you tried to update Skype to the latested non beta version that have been just released?I did test also the beta but could not replicate your problem...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tsi Guest

Same here, sometimes it is virtually impossible to kill skype.exe process. Usually it happens when Skype has been running for hours. Tried everything, changed antiviruses, did lots of reinstalls, registry cleanings. No help. Only getting rid of ZA really helps. Vista-s own firewall works just fine with Skype. I'm using the latest released Skype version, 3.2.0.175. I think that ZA is responsible for that behaviour, not Skype, although Skype is still not officially Vista compatible.

Probably there are another programs too, which don't work well with ZA. It occurd with both free ZA version and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.

tsi

malambot Guest

Hello. Thanks for your reply. You didn't mention anything about Yahoo Messenger.
    I've re-tried again. To make sure I've a clean system I created a virtual machine with Windows Vista Ultimate. I've nothing else installed except the latest security updates for Windows Vista, the latest version of Yahoo Messenger and the latest non-beta version of Skype and also Free ZA.
    Like you said, there is no problem with Skype. However, there is still a problem with YM - YahooMessenger.exe remaining in the task manager after I exit the YM application. When I open and
    exit YM repeatedly, YM in task manager piles up. This seems to happen only if I sign-in on YM. If I just launch and exit YM without signing-in then YM terminates cleanly with no residue in task manager. At the moment I have six YM instances in task manager none of which I can kill with the End Task button. If I sign-in and then sign-out and then exit YM, the same problem occurs.
    I un-installed ZA and no problems with YM. I tried again with the trial version of ZAISS and the results are the same as the above scenario.

Hi!glad to hear your issue with skype is resolved. I don't use Yahoo messenger so I cannot test. But I persoally doubt that ZASS has anything to do with Yahoo directly. It must be an interaction (conflict) with another application (may be security related?) and ZASS.Better you contact direct the ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

malambot Guest

Thanks for your suggestion. I will give it a try.

ekipmanager Guest

I have the same problem here with YahooMessenger.exe process. Did you get any response from ZoneLab Tech support?Thanks,K1

malambot Guest

Nope. I have not yet received a reply from tech support. I'm hoping they will still reply even though I am only using the trial version for the moment. If I do get a reply, I will post it here.

malambot Guest

Default Reply from Technical Support

Hello,
    I have tested and verified this issue on our Vista machines. I am going to escalate this case up and report this as a bug for review.
    EdTech Support

Thread Information