Thread: Zonealarm Free 6.5.737 vs. **bleep** Free Firewallversion 2.4 vs. AVG Internet Security Firewall

Hybrid View

bloomcounty Guest

Default Zonealarm Free 6.5.737 vs. **bleep** Free Firewallversion 2.4 vs. AVG Internet Security Firewall

Edit: I'm noticing the name of the other firewall I was asking about in comparison is "bleeped" -- hope I'm not stepping on any toes or breaking any rules by asking. If so, let me know and I'll delete the thread. Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------
    I currently use ZA Free 7.0.302, but due to the size of it (since the Pro stuff is just turned off) and it possibly acting weird, I was going to use ZA Free 6.5.737 on my replacement laptop coming up instead.

**bleep** Free FirewallVersion 2.4 was also recommended to me, and it does look like it might be easier to use for a newbie and provide more information. But then I saw that it supposedly has a vulnerability that won't be fixed until the next version (if that even)...
    Link: http://forums.**bleep**.com/leak_tes...-t11187.0.html
    (I don't know what any of that means though...)

I am also considering buying the AVG Internet Security, which seems to include a Firewall. How does that one measure up?

This firewall stuff kind of makes my head spin since I'm no expert, but I'm trying to decide what I should go with between these three on my replacement laptop. Opinions with explanations understandable by a non-expert are appreciated!

I'll have Windows XP Pro, I use Firefox for all internet browsing (except for Windows Updates and the occasional Office Updates), and I have dial-up.

Some A/V, antispyware, etc. programs I plan on using are: SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE Free, AVG A/V Free, AVG Antispyware Free, and maybe **bleep** BOClean Anti-Malware Version 4.24 and SpywareBlaster.

Thanks!

Message Edited by bloomcounty on 08-02-2007 11:23 PM

Message Edited by bloomcounty on 08-02-2007 11:24 PM

Default Re: Zonealarm Free 6.5.737 vs. **bleep** Free Firewallversion 2.4 vs. AVG Internet Security Firewall

Hi!this is a ZA user support forum, so contribution are generally limited to ZA issue. The typical thread "who is best" is usually not always welcomed and not only in this forum. Best depends on many factor and something best for a user may not be best for another.All programs you have mentionedare fineand the only way to know if they work well on your system is to try them.For general firewall comparison see here:www.matousec.com For general AV performances look here:www.av-comparatives.orgAnd remember to have a good backup/image strategy while tryingdifferent security tools, since installing/removing this kind of tools can easily messing up your OS registry or system.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bloomcounty Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm Free 6.5.737 vs. **bleep** Free Firewallversion 2.4 vs. AVG Internet Security Firewall

I guess I didn't mean so much which is better -- more wondering the pros/cons of each.

I did see this concerning ZA 6.5.737:
    http://www.matousec.com/info/advisor...put-buffer.php

...so how bad is this vulnerability? I read that ZA 7 fixed it, but I ZA 7 Free is so huge (because of the turned off Pro stuff) and I think it's been acting weird for me (as you may have seen on my other threads).

Thanks!

Hi!the vulnerability related to the antispyware driver... if you are on ZA free you can just ignore it since there is no spyware protection on the ZAfreeEvery security package has pros/cons and pros/cons can be very subjective... as already mentioned the best is alsways to try them.Cheers,Fax

bloomcounty Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    the vulnerability related to the antispyware driver... if you are on ZA free you can just ignore it since there is no spyware protection on the ZAfree<hr></blockquote>

Ah, good to know -- thanks!

You're welcome.Fax

Thread Information