Thread: New Network Found

Default New Network Found

A couple day ago I got a message from my Zone Alarm Pro software. It stated that a new network had been found and where did I want it kept. It gave me the options of trusted and internet zones. I allowed it into the internet zone. I am wondering where this new network came from, since I have made no changes myself. Could this be some kind of fraud, and should I remove this from my computer? Also, since this new network was found my bank no longer recognizes my computer, and thinks I am using a new computer. At the current time ZAP shows this new network with the IP Address of 74.131..32.0 and a site address of 255.255.248.0 I have kept this in the Internet zone. In the Trusted zone I have something called Loopback Adapter with the site being 127.0.0.1the entry type of IP address and is in the trusted zone. Thanks for any info offered.
    Bob H.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: New Network Found

http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...=INSIGHTNS.COM

My assumption is that this is your provider, insightns, and this is okay. My second assumption is that you are using dialup or dsl, with no NAT in a modem or a router.

255.255.248.0 is a subnet mask and it in inself is not an actual address, but a ICMP type of message for better access to the server at insightns.

The address 127.0.0.1 is not any kind of internet address. It is the internal address of all OS that are Windows based.
    It cannot call out or receive any internet connections. So this is safe to be set as Trusted.

The usual advice I give out is this:

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply for each one.
    4. The loopback must be listed as Trusted. It has the address of 127.0.0.1
    5 The Generic Host Process or the svchost.exe listed in the Program list must have both Trusted and Internet access and it must have server rights for the Trusted Zone, but not the Internet Zone.

http://zonelabs.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

BUT if the DHCP IP as the same as your network card, it can be left in the Internet Zone. If the DNS IP (s) is the same as the 74.131..32.0, then set this as Trusted, since the correct DNS connectrion must be created.

Cheers
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information