Thread: My taskbar icon and ZA header indicate CONSTANT "Traffic"

creolejazz Guest

Default My taskbar icon and ZA header indicate CONSTANT "Traffic"

Hi. I just installed ZA. The ZA icon in the taskbar tray shows constantly fluxuating "in" Traffic all the time. When I open ZA, the top of that window verifies constantly fluxuating Traffic "in".
    Just to the right of the "lock" on the header, a small icon is flashing. When I rest my mouse over that icon, it reads "Antivirus System Tray Tool". (I run Avira AntiVir.)
    I can stop both of these by right-clicking the ZA taskbar icon and clicking "Stop all internet activity". When I uncheck it, I get the ZA message that my Virus Scheduler or Virus Control Center is trying to access the internet. When I click ALLOW, the Traffic begins again.
    My question is, does anyone else use Avira AntiVir and why does it constantly access the internet? Isn't this eating up my bandwidth? Thanks for help.

Default Re: My taskbar icon and ZA header indicate CONSTANT "Traffic"

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>creolejazz wrote:
    Hi. I just installed ZA. The ZA icon in the taskbar tray shows constantly fluxuating "in" Traffic all the time. When I open ZA, the top of that window verifies constantly fluxuating Traffic "in".Just to the right of the "lock" on the header, a small icon is flashing. When I rest my mouse over that icon, it reads "Antivirus System Tray Tool". (I run Avira AntiVir.)I can stop both of these by right-clicking the ZA taskbar icon and clicking "Stop all internet activity". When I uncheck it, I get the ZA message that my Virus Scheduler or Virus Control Center is trying to access the internet. When I click ALLOW, the Traffic begins again.My question is, does anyone else use Avira AntiVir and why does it constantly access the internet? Isn't this eating up my bandwidth? Thanks for help.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) whatZA Productof ZA, Free, ZA Pro, ZA AV, ZA AS, Vista?2.) What Version.. 7.0.337.000, 7.0.362.000 ?
    3.) What OS, Windows XP, XP Pro, 2000, Vista?[Soap Box Mode ON:]It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.
    [Soap Box Mode OFF:]
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

creolejazz Guest

Thanks for the offer to help. Sorry for any confusion.
    Windows XP
    ZA (free version 7.0.362.000)
    I had Norton Internet Security 2007 but was tired of giving up so much of my PC's resources to run it.
    As indicated, I'm also running Avira AntiVir anti-virus software (free version).
    Everything seems to be running fine. No error messages. Just a constant TRAFFIC indication.
    Thanks.

I use the AntiVir free antivirus. The traffic indicated by the ZA concerning the AntiVir is not network traffic, but the internal traffic of the AntiVir. Two ports of the localhost, 18350 and another are used by the avgnt.exe and the avguard.exe The sched.exe will also use the localhost from time to time. Since these will do both inbound and outbound connections through the localhost, give all three components in the ZA Program list the server for the Trusted Zone (this will include the localhost or 127.0.0.1).This applies to all ZA versions without the ZA's builtin antivirus.

Cheers,
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-18-2007 04:45 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>creolejazz wrote:
    Thanks for the offer to help. Sorry for any confusion.Windows XP
    ZA (free version 7.0.362.000)I had Norton Internet Security 2007 but was tired of giving up so much of my PC's resources to run it.As indicated, I'm also running Avira AntiVir anti-virus software (free version).Everything seems to be running fine. No error messages. Just a constant TRAFFIC indication.Thanks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your Feedback..

Bingo..!!! it is amazing what a little information will reveal..

You have a Compatibility problem between Zone Alarm Free 7.0 and Norton..

Both Norton and McAfee AV world work with the Old ZA Free 6.1 and 6.5, but not with any XP version of ZA Free 7.xx

ZA Free 6.5 was 18 Megs, just the Basic Firewall..

ZA Free 7.0 for XP is 38 Megs, that included all of the Zone Alarm Security Suite Install Moduals, with an Option durring Install to select a Free 15 day trail of the Full security suite..

Even if you decine the Free Trail of the Security Suite.. Some of the Security Suite files still remail on your Computer and will Conflict with Any Symantec/Norton or McAfee Security programs..

Here is more information..

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154

So my advice to solve you problem would be..

1.) A Clean uninstall of ZA Free 7.xx and Install the Older ZA Free 6.5 with will work with your Norton files..

http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html

Here is the Web-Link for the older ZA Free files..

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

GeorgeV ... what???
    Best regards.
    oldsod

creolejazz Guest

hehe. I, too,
    was beginning to wonder about our buddy, &quot;Soapbox&quot; George. I don't think he really read my posts.
    Thanks for the reply, Oldsod. So, I take it I have nothing to worry about the fact that my &quot;Traffic&quot; is constant. Is there a way to stop AntiVir from constantly communicating? What part of AntiVir is doing the communicating? The &quot;Guard&quot;? It seems odd to me that it would
    cause ZA to constantly register &quot;traffic&quot;.

The ZA is sensitive about the localhost traffic, as localhost traffic can and will be used by malware. Besides, monitoring the localhost is a software firewall job anyways.

Some AV's use the localhost a lot. The AntiVir is one of those AV's. There is no way to stop traffic and there is no reason or need to stop this traffic. There is nothing to worry about the AntiVir traffic with the AV Guard and the AV Agent. This is really quite normal. It is not internet traffic, it is just the localhost traffic.
    The ZA sees it as "high traffic" because it is always constantly ongoing and it is not just the TCP going out to the localhost, but the localhost is used coming back to the antivir's components. One of the components is using the localhost to send information from the other one. It is how these two "talk" to each other and keep tabs on the security of the PC.
    When the AntiVir updates, several applicatiosn can be used altogether and some will launch others, and this is all very normal as well.

If you check out the English speaking section of the AntiVir Users Forum, you will find posts saying this internal traffic is all very normal.

http://forum.antivir-pe.de/board.php...10056a3d12203c

Hey, you have a nice firewall and a nice antivirus that work together just fine and give good security (and for free!). Just enjoy the boons.

BTW notice the 98.85 % detection rate of AntiVir/Avira? Notice the only two that did better are scanners that are using double-antivirus engines and two different complete sets of definitions?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2007_02.php

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

creolejazz Guest

Oldsod,
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your thorough and informative response. Thanks.
    Yes, I feel good about my FREE choices now, thanks to your explanation. After I dumped Norton, I first tried Avast antivirus and ran a full scan. It found no viruses. I decided to uninstall Avast in favor of AntiVir because Avast does not have a scheduler for virus scans whereas with AntiVir I can have it download updates and/or run scans in the middle of the night and I never have to worry about it. When I first ran AntiVir it found ELEVEN virus that Avast had missed. Seven of those were in the Norton quarantine (which had failed to uninstall when I deleted Norton) and four were viruses that both Norton and Avast had missed. I think we have a winner here. Thanks again!

You are welcome, creolejazz.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information