Thread: Can't Add Program, Smart Defense Advisor seems to be gone too

thebobster Guest

Default Can't Add Program, Smart Defense Advisor seems to be gone too

Running 7.0.337.000 on old HP Pavilion with win2k pro OS.
    ZA has an old program list, will not let me add any new program either.
    From firewall - program log screen Add Program is greyed out. On the programs tab section, the add button is OK but when I try to
    Add, ZA does nothing and doesn't add the program either.
    Also seems like I no longer see the ZA popup that used to appear when a program was trying to access the internet either the home
    intranet or the internet. What happened?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Can't Add Program, Smart Defense Advisor seems to be gone too

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sorry you are having problems and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you.

PLEASE try the following, if you are interested, but remember you will LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS. This will bring the firewall back to the original settings.

I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. thebobster Guest

Hey Sly - your guruness,
    Tx yes it works now. I suspected as much reading other user issues. BUT, I have to wonder what is the purpose of the backup db. Does ZA detect corrupt db? If so, does it try backup db? If not, why bother to backup.
    Next, as I am a programmer, I would think that
    ZA could generate and keep track of a CRC for a given db as records are added/deleted, of course computing CRC before changing anything in the db then changing recompute update. Additionally, if ZA can detect a corrupt db, then why not give the user a BUTTON to delete/rebuild the db as an alternative to the safe mode exercise.....
    Overall, I've been very pleased with ZA as a firewall and may actually get around to buying it for three or four of the home machines (kids...).
    Would be nice however if the firewall would come as a separate component rather than trying to be all things to all users like everyone seems to do these days. I like adaware and spybot and spyware blaster. I hate windows 'features' that you get without asking from good old M$ and I expect to be able to kill a service on my command, not be told I'm not authorized when I'm the owner and the administrator.

(I'm an old dos man)
    the bobster

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi The Bobster,It's really hard explain what may have happened. The following may or may not help you, but it is on the same general format of instructions on what I posted for you, but it may have some info you may want to check out.

http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...rruptlogs.html By completing a database reset, it is much faster and easier for the members, instead of completely uninstalling Zone Alarm and then reinstalling it again. Most the time that is all that is needed to complete a database reset. Like I mentioned in my instructions, the only downside is that you will lose all your customizations and need to add them back into your firewall, other than that, most issues will be fixed using this solution. On your other questions and suggestions, SORRY SIR, but you really need to contact Tech Support and PLEASE tell them your suggestions, as Tech Suppot does not monitor this forum. If you are interested here is the link to them and if it was me, I would send that suggestion into them, never hurts to try.http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jspYes, I also use Spywareblaster and Spybot like yourself. I gave up on Ad-Aware, but I do use the FREE version of A-Squared Free. I used to have in the past more assorted security antispyware programs, but they never seemed to catch anything, so I am just more careful where I surf now and other avenues I have blocked on my computer to keep those nasty bugs away as much as possible.Thank you very much for posting back and I am very happy that your issue has been fixed.Have a Great Day or Evening!SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Thread Information