Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm Free 7.1 - Vista BSOD on installation - fwpkclnt.sys

sbutlin Guest

Default Zonealarm Free 7.1 - Vista BSOD on installation - fwpkclnt.sys

I've attempted to install Zonealarm FREE 7.1 on my new Vista PC.

The Vista version is Ultimate 32-bit, and I had read on another forum that it was recommended to disable the Vista User Access Control (UAC) before installation which I did.

I got a BSOD from Vista claiming to be a problem with fwpkclnt.sys (which I believe is the Windows firewall). I uninstalled in Safe Mode, then then attempted another install with Windows Firewall disabled. That still failed with the same error.

Anyone had the same experience or found ways around to get Zonealarm to install and be stable? If not, any suggestions for a free & stable firewall for Vista would be useful.

Regards, Steve

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

metric Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm Free 7.1 - Vista BSOD on installation - fwpkclnt.sys

I am having the exact same problem, except I have Vista Home Premium.

Please help someone, i really do not trust the Vista firewall.

rob_maurer Guest

I am having the very same issue. I suspect it is the recent batch of Windows Updates. I am attempting to uninstall/reinstall. KB939159 may be the stickiest wicket. When I try to uninstall in 'Safe Mode with Networking' I get 'An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled.' In Normal Mode, the blue screen of death is always waiting. I am eager to receive a solution!

venomeightynine Guest

i've had ALMOST the exact same problem. i installed zone alarm for vista, restarted and got a blue screen. the only difference with mine is.... there's no way i can fix it, whether to unistall zone alarm or otherwise. in safe mode it doesnt show that zone alarm has been installed. so now every time i start up in normal mode, i get a blue screen within seconds with the same "fwpkclnt.sys" error. is there any way anyone can help me? i desperately need a fix asap. my education depends on it...

Hi!Boot in SAFE MODE and remove manually all files/folder/registry entries listed here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sbutlin Guest

Thanks Fax. I'm managed to remove Zonealarm successfully, but my question is whether I can load Zonealarm v7.1. on Vista. Am I to expect a BSOD again, or is there something I need to do prior to installation that will make Zonealarm v7.1 Free operate with Vista happily ?
    Regards, Steve

Hi!what else are you running apart from windows defender? What was you previous firewall? There may be left overs that conflict with ZA free.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

io_troll Guest

Steve, I had same problem with ZA causing BSOD with fwpkclnt.sys in Vista. Solved it by booting in safe mode and disabling both the Windows Firewall service and Windows Defender service (in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services) and then rebooting. That allowed Zone Alarm to finish it's installation and work without BSOD. Since I disabled both the firewall and defender, I'm not sure which one was the actual cause of the problem; am suspecting it was just the firewall. Strangely, after system was working properly with ZA, I went back to services and put both firewall and defender back into "Automatic" mode, and that has not caused any BSOD to recur. So it appears there is just some kind of transient conflict at time of installation, and if you can get past that, everything works fine.

johnjakob Guest

I am having the same problem and cannot resolve it with any of the proposed solutions here.
    My BSOD can occur after a minute or it could take an hour or so for it to happen. Zone Alarm never installed properly, but seems to have caused this issue. I had to disable the Vista firewall as well as Windows Defender, so neither of them are working now...and Zone Alarm never installed successfully either, so i am now relying on my router's firewall to keep me protected.
    I don't know what to do at this point. I have removed all the registry entries and any files related to Zone Alarm, but I am afraid that the BSOD problem will continue to occur. Like I said, it can take a few minutes or over an hour, but it never fails to occur.
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated at this point, as I am beside myself and I am desperately needing a stable machine to do my work on (I design websites, do graphic design, etc.) & cannot afford to have this instability (as I may lose a lot of work should this occur at the wrong point - like during a large web project or something like that).
    PLEASE HELP!!!

neeklo Guest

This issue may be related to this Vista hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931365Since ZA downloads updates via an encrypted connection, it would make sense if this is a problem with
    IP-Sec.If so, apologies all round to the ZA team (and shame on Microsoft.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information