Thread: Weekly scan taking hours-12 plus

barbararose Guest

Default Weekly scan taking hours-12 plus

I have my ZA antivirus set to scan once a week.
    The last scheduled scan began at 9:30am and was still running after midnight!
    I had to manually stop it.
    I had previously renewed my subscription and had a ton of problems with the upgrades/renewal.
    In short: had to run the computer in safe mode, manually delete ZA programs and fool with my registry(which scares me to death!)
    I then had to re-download ZA, being sure it was the same previous
    version, NOT the upgraded version.OK....managed that without problems....UNTIL the weekly scan.
    ZA tech support advises I run the scan in safe mode.
    Well, to me, that is not an answer.
    I paid for an "normal" antivirus subscription, not one I have to run in safe mode.
    At this point, I am so disgusted with ZA that I may have to call customer service, get a refund and go to Norton.
    Phew, now that I've vented, does anyone have similar hassles?
    I otherwise love ZA, but this is becoming a big pain.
    Since I use my computer to work from my home, every non-working/crazy behaving
    program uses up valuable time when I should be earning a living.
    I am running Windows XP Home, SP2512MB
    Barbara Rose

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Weekly scan taking hours-12 plus

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>barbararose wrote:
    ZA tech support advises I run the scan in safe mode. Well, to me, that is not an answer. I paid for an "normal" antivirus subscription, not one I have to run in safe mode. At this point, I am so disgusted with ZA that I may have to call customer service, get a refund and go to Norton.I am running Windows XP Home, SP2512MBBarbara Rose

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, ZA technical support suggested to run the scan in SAFE MODE to isolate possible conflicts with a third party software (other than ZA or OS system files and drivers). You may also have an infection that do not allow the scanner to work in normal mode.If, ZA AV scan works in SAFE MODE then it means you have a software that blocks ZA to do its job.Are you running any other security tool on your system? Windows Defender, SpyBotS&amp;D, Adaware, Spysweeper, Spyware doctor, other antiviruses or antispyware, if yes try to remove them and scan again.It could also be a ZA database corruption. Did you experienced crashes? PC hanging? Malware infection recently? This may cause the ZA database to get corrupt. See here how to reset the database: http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...rruptlogs.htmlFinally if:- you have removed other security tools on your system- checked that you free of malware- clean your system from temp files and other clutter, use for example ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) and still experiencing the problem:Try to remove and reinstall ZA AV, see here:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlDo you use a logitech device (e.g. logitech webcam), there is a conflicts with Logitech drivers and the AV engine.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

barbararose Guest

Thank you, fax.It would have made more sense if ZA support included the information about why to run it in safe mode.As far as I know, I don't have any Logitech devices.
    I do have Spybot but I've had that longer than ZA and never had a problem before my ZA renewal.
    I went to an outside source and ran a malware check and it was clean.
    I also have a registry cleaner, which I recently ran.
    So......I guess I'll have to take some time and do a scan in safe-mode and see what happens.
    Thanks for the useful links, too!
    Barbara Rose

You're welcome!SpyBotS&amp;D can conflict with ZASS recent version + its not very effective (just cookies).You don't loose much by removing it.If you want a backup spyware tool use for example the free superantispyware.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information