Thread: security from networks

htalk Guest

Default security from networks

Hello - I am in a building with people sharing a dsl / cable / lan connection.
    One guy had someone come in to change his connection and now it looks like I am connected to a network but I don't want to be as I am required to follow HIPPA (information protection act).
    When I try to get off a network with zonealarm, it says I can't stop a network that is active.
    I am computer illiterate - can anyone help me?
    Thank you!

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: security from networks

Dear htalk:

If this is a corporate network, you need to contact tech support for your company and advise them. Making changes to a networked PC that affects network access, without the company's permission, could result in disciplinary action against you. HIPAA does not outlaw networks. It provides for the protection of health information. Employers who use this information must provide administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to protect such information.

That said, ZAISS autodetects any new networks and prompts you the first time for which zone to place the network in, either Trusted or Internet. By default, the Trusted zone has Medium security which allows file and printer sharing. The Internet zone has High security which prevents file and printer sharing. You can click the Main tab to confirm this. In the Zones tab, you can double click on the network entry and place it in the Internet zone which will prevent other computers on the network from accessing any files stored locally on your hard drive. Again, though, if this is not a computer you own, do not do this without the permission from your company's tech support unit.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Default Re: security from networks

all you need to do is put it into the internet zone. Just click on the trusted zone verbage, and you can select internet zone.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information