Thread: Does the free ZoneAlarm firewall work with dial-up?

redoak Guest

Default Does the free ZoneAlarm firewall work with dial-up?

I went to the "C-Net" site to download the free "ZA" firewall. However,I noted the following statement by "ZA" in describing the program-

"Publisher's description of ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP)

"From ZoneAlarm:

"ZoneAlarm is designed to protect your DSL- or cable-connected PC from hackers."

I noted the specific reference to "DSL- or cable connected." To me that leaves out those of us on dial-up. Am I correct in this assumption?

{redoak}

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Does the free ZoneAlarm firewall work with dial-up?

It should be OK for dialup . Dialup is getting rare, so I guess they skipped that description. I have helped dialups users with the ZA, and it works OK.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Yes, it does but as you expect downloads are slow as watching paint dry.

naivemelody Guest

Additional info: it's best "not' to use any 'web accelerators' nor any 'download managers' when downloading ZA. Next time, it would be advisable to get the download direct from ZA website instead of going
    'thru' a third-party site (on rare occasions - they do add - extra tracking cookies, or worse). On dial-up, it will take more than two hours; make sure you're not limited to a single two hour set, without a &quot;continuation&quot; option = this applies to ZA Free 7x series; earlier versions - 6x series can be downloaded under two hours.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 10-2-07 - Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys

redoak Guest

Thanks, folks, for the responses. Yes, dial-up is slow, but aside from satellite service, I have no other options here in the &quot;boonies.&quot;

The observation that it is best to download from the NZ site is well taken. This would apply to other downloads as well, of course.

I will end checking of my post with this reply.

{redoak}

zaswing Guest

Out there in the boonies, do you by any chance work for or know someone who does, for a company that has a fast, fast internet connection? If so, download there from the ZL site, save the file on a $10 flash, take it home and you'll be good to go, safe, secure and clean.

Thread Information