Thread: Zone labs router or another?

buglover Guest

Default Zone labs router or another?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase the Zonelabs long range router or the Linksys RangePlus or the Netgear RangeMax. Reviews and information are conflicting and not helpful. Does anyone on this forum actually know which is best to use for speed and range. My current Linksys WRV54G does not
    reach
    to the other end of my house. Is the ZoneLabs router a MIMO technology?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

forum_moderator Guest

Default Re: Zone labs router or another?

The Z100G router does not use MIMO. It uses something called XR technology. To take advantage of it you would have to buy all new nic cards, and its hard to find cards that use this XR technology.Best regards,Forum Moderator

I think go for MIMO as it seems to more common. A lot of wireless NIC cards support MIMO but you'll need to check the NIC as most don't.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 10-04-2007 09:35 AM

buglover Guest

Thanks moderator. That certainly changes the equation.
    When you say "take advantage" does that mean an all or nothing situation or does it mean that if I do not change NIC cards I will get partial improvement and perhaps sufficient improvement? If it is all or nothing, then I would think ZA should say this in there site info and suggest or provide options to obtain new NIC cards. This is unfortunate since I like what the Z100G is provioding.

I guess then my best option is to get the Linksys G router with RangePlus using MIMO. While new NIC cards for that are best, sufficient improvement may exist without change of cards according to some reviews I have read.

I've got a Pre-N wireless NIC card on my home desktop. At the moment, it's talking to 802.11G router but at least I am ready for Pre-N whenI get the new router.

Thread Information