Thread: Zone Alarm Pro

retiredjim Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro

I have used Zone Alarm Pro for a number of years and seem to have a very long time when my computer boots, Looking at my program list - there are many many many entries for programs being updated as well as all the Zone Alarm updates. It appears to me that when Zone Alarm is initializing it is looking at all of these various entries, many of them when now are not valid programs. My question is with the next update would I be wise in deleting Zone Alarm and doing a clean install??

Thanks for your comments and or suggestions.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro

Hi Jim

You could wait for newer release and instead of doing the install over, just let the installer do the remove the old and do a brand new installation. Or you could clean it up right now by doing this and the Zone Alarm will be as when it was first installed (no junk and almost empty)....

To clean all the entries all at one time (you will lose your settings), just remove the entire ZA database and start fresh. Do this:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

(How to get into the safe mode)

After the reboot back into the Normal Mode, just set the new found network as Trusted, and then after the initial alerts flurry, just do this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Once the ZA is nicely settled in and the usual number of program entires are created and the new settings are established, just backup the setting using the Back Up feature. If the Zone Alarm needs some "house cleaning" again, then the original saved settings can be Restored and the ZA will be just as before the database reset.

Hope this helps, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-16-2007 12:24 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

retiredjim Guest

Thanks very much for the help.

Jim

You are welcome Jim.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.