Thread: Is it a Bug with ZoneAlarm ?!

Hybrid View

tinman_dubai Guest

Default Is it a Bug with ZoneAlarm ?!

Hi guys,

Into:
    I have a BSc degree in computer science. I work with computer networks for more than 10 years. I have been using ZoneAlarm since 2000. I have recently downloaded the latest trial ZoneAlarm
    Internet Security Suite for testing at my work (for a test run to see if it can help us by installing it on our field force laptops). I have been facing some strange problems and would like to ask if anyone else is facing it, or should I proceed with a more deep investigation.

Hardware used:
    Dell Latitude D630 (Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.80GHz)
    1 GB RAM (DDR2 PC2-5300)
    M/B based on Intel GM965 chipset and Intel 82801HBM (Southbridge)
    80 GB HDD (Hitachi)
    Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    1394 Net Adaptor
    Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio

Software used and installation order:
    Registered copy of Microsoft Windows XP PRO SP2 (Windows Firewall turned ON, Page File 1.5 GB)
    Registered McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0.0 Patch 11 (Scan Engine 5200, and Dat file is 5134)
    Registered copy of Microsoft Office 2003
    Microsoft Office 2003 SP3
    Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0.0
    Free DWG Viewer (Build Number: 5.4.0.11)
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
    Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) 8.5 (free version)
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Live Messenger 8.1
    Adobe Flash Player (www.adobe.com)
    QuickTime 7
    IE 7
    Windows/Office Update (All Windows High-Priority Updates plus Office if any)

Trials:
    The test was done twice.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite License:
    15 days trial

Internet Connection:
    ADSL 512/128 Kbps

The problem:
    Everything works perfect till Installing ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. The installation process runs normal as usual. At the end of the installation, the software ask for a computer restart (normal). After the computer restart, everything work except MSN messenger! MSN doesn't want to login. So I though maybe ZoneAlarm is blocking MSN.

I have checked and double checked the setting, and it was where it is supposed to be. Yet MSN messenger doesn't want to loin. So I decided to shut ZoneAlarm down, and try. After doing that, nothing worked!!! All running programs (2 IE windows, Microsoft Word) hanged. When I tried to run ZoneAlarm again, I got an error message saying that windows can't find the exe file!

The same happened when I tried to run Microsoft Excel. I couldn't shutdown or restart the computer normally (everything that has exe extension all of the sudden seem to be disappeared!?). I had to press the power button for 4 secs to force a shutdown.

In the 1st test, after turning the computer ON again, I logged in as administrator and went to the Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs to remove ZoneAlarm. All **bleep** broke loss, for the un-installation to work, it had to turn OFF the ZoneAlarm engines and this lead to the same previous mentioned problem and add to that that Windows crashed!

In the 2nd test, after formatting and re-installing everything again, the same original problem occurred after installing ZoneAlarm. So I restarted normally, and got into Safe Mode and was successful in removing ZoneAlarm.

So anyone has a clue on that?

Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Is it a Bug with ZoneAlarm ?!

BSc degree in computer science. You have heard of only running one firewall and only one anti-virus; disabling one anti-virus is not enough - the complete and proper un-install of a previous anti-virus before downloading a new one. You have McAfee Enterprise AV - need to properly un-install that before attempting to install ZA - see -
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=154
    = these links are for consumer versions -av; therefore you need to find the the right Removal Tool for your McAfee Enterprise AV (go to their website).<hr>If you really want to test out ZA Suite - it's best to properly un-install all other security software prior to downloading ZA and try ZA Suite as the primary security defense - at least for the trial period. ZA's Kaspersky anti-virus is &quot;very aggresive&quot; and does not play well with many other security software and other types of apps; but will defend your pc with it's anti-virus + antispyware{all malware} proactive/scanning plus you get ZA's own anti-spyware module, too.<hr>Other tip - don't use &quot;download accelerators&quot; for installing ZA - not good. Nor any 'download managers.' (Adobe may have a download manager - don't use)<hr>Spybot's &quot;tea-timer&quot; may/should be shut-off; the rest of Spybot you can keep.<hr>It would also help if you specify - in details - error codes and messages.<hr>You can often find past posts within the many different boards in this forum which has similar issues/problems and if you search well - you can find possible answers/solutions.<hr>:0NaiveMelody NYC 10-4-07 - Layla - Derek And The Dominos/ Eric Clapton

razzel Guest

Default Re: Is it a Bug with ZoneAlarm ?!

You must give Messenger permission to connect to the Internet before you can use it. Check out the IM tab.

Thread Information