Thread: Zone Alarm Pro stops Spyware Doctor.exe at bootup

Hybrid View

skykj Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro stops Spyware Doctor.exe at bootup

I have ZA Pro v7.0.408 that has run very happily with Spyware Doctor v4.1.0.1 on WinXP SP2 Home for quite a while now (don't per-lease even mention SD v5.x, not even now!!). For roughly the past couple of weeks, at any bootup, Zone Alarm blocks SD from starting up its .exe, with a High warning, and despite that I click "Allow" and to remember this, it allows it to open on that bootup, but will not remember for the next.

I have checked in the Program Control of ZA and all the access areas are ticked bar to send email (surely not necessary).

Can anyone help me please with this small annoyance? I can't find anything to help by searching on this forum, PC Tools Community Forum, or the net. Many thanks. K.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro stops Spyware Doctor.exe at bootup

Have you tried using SpywareDoctor with all the guards/watches off - I do mean all of them. This all has to do with the real-time/proactive protection that ZA Pro wants to control and maintain and the various guards that SD
    has = conflicts.
    Careful if you
    have the 'anti-virus' version? Just try it out with the all of guards -off; see if ZA will accept - probably need to re-start. Net results may be, that you may need
    to use SpywareDoctor as a 'on-demand scanner' with all or most/some of the guards off.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 10-7-07 - Vertigo - U2

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 10-10-2007 10:03 PM

watcher Guest

Dear SkyKj:

I have ZAPRO v.7.0.337.000 with Spyware Doctor v.4.0.0.2621. It works fine. I only use it as an on-demand scanner so I have real-time monitoring disabled. However, I have used real-time monitoring in the past when this version was current. Check Program Control, Programs tab, and check the Trust Level. Are there 3 green bars(Super) listed? I'm also wondering if you rec'd a notification to update to ZAPRO's current version. I didn't yet. ZAPRO version 7.0.362.000 was very problematic, according to the forum posts I've seen.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

skykj Guest

Thanks both NaiveMelody and Watcher for your useful replies.

Yes, trust level was at three green bars.

In fact I seem to have cured the problem yet again by uninstalling and re-installing ZAPRO, which is v 7.0.408.000 as I mentioned. I say again, as I had to do the same last month with another of ZAPRO's versions and another problem. I have this thing that if I have SD installed, I'd like it to run in real time, as I feel that's one of its strong points (when that one works properly too!!)

So, not really solved, but resolved! Hurray, I'm getting an iMac this month (just waiting for Leopard). Goodbye to all of this......!!!!

watcher Guest

Dear SkyKj:

SD4 is out of date, new version is SD5. So, unless you are still getting spyware definition updates for SD4, it is only good as a on-demand scanner. I still use it because it had such good detection and removal capabilities. I've tried SD5 and even though it is highly rated, it takes up much more RAM(300MB+ when running scans) and the scans took longer than other antispyware utilities. I now use other antispyware utilities but only have 1 operating with its real-time scanner.

Let me rephrase my last post re ZAPRO v.7.0.408.000. I still have 7.0.337.000 and I check weekly for updates but am told my version is up to date. Some forum members went and upgraded to 7.0.362.000 when Checkpoint released this version to the public, but it was so problematic, they never advised subscribers to upgrade. I am wondering if the same thing has occurred with 7.0.408.000. Did your get a notification to upgrade or did you just go to their website to download the current version?

WATCHER

skykj Guest

Hi Watcher.

Oh I'm completely up to speed with the SD situation. I was one of the first to upgrade to the v5 in April (when it hit the UK) and it hit my PC hard. Ended up having to do a clean install of XP because of it. I was quite a contributer to that forum for a while after that. The upshot, to summerise, is the v5 SD was really produced to address Vista, and it took many, many versions subsequently, and many, many unhappy PC Tools customers later until eventually they have come up with a version that sits in some way happily on XP as well as Vista. You see, at the time, and I believe this is still the case, the world was still dominated by XP users within the PC world. However, as you quite rightly point out, the main bug bear is that v5.x is a major RAM hog, both at startup and during scanning. There have been a zillion other issues, and I followed it almost addicted at one point via the forums, but not any more.

I have to point out that SD v4.1.x is not &quot;out of date&quot; as such. Because of all the v5 problems, PC Tools still fully support and update v4.1.x, so that is an important issue for security minded to know.

However, this is ZA forum! All's working OK for me now since I reinstalled ZAPRO, and it's no longer stopping SD at any startup. I in no way want to lose faith with ZA, as it's a product I believe in.

Thread Information