Thread: ZA, are you working on the SLOW EBAY problem???

rstewartxx Guest

Default ZA, are you working on the SLOW EBAY problem???

As others here have noted in several different threads, the Zone Alarm Pro Firewall is causing severe problems with the ebay website. Bidding and confirming can take 5 or more minutes, if it works at all, and I have personally missed several buying opportunities because of this.

If I disable the ZA firewall, all works great. But disabling the firewall is a VERY poor solution!!

My Zone Alarm Pro Firewall subscription expires in about a month, and I want to know before I re-subscribe if this problem is being actively worked by support? If I don't get some good news I plan on buying someone else's Firewall product.

B.T.W. I have supported ZA for years and years, and have advised many others to use this product, but if this is not being fixed, its going to sour my support big time.

My system,
    P4 3 Ghz.
    Windows XP Professional with all updates

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA, are you working on the SLOW EBAY problem???

Instead of disabling the firewall try turning off mobile control while using e-bay.

rstewartxx Guest

Thanks for the reply.

Its always off, never used.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry you are having problems with ZA and hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you.

PLEASE go to the following thread and hopefull it will solve your issue, if not PLEASE post back, THANKS

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=26175

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,Additional to my previous post about your issues with Ebay, PLEASE go to this thread also, as it may or may not help you.Re: Ebay pages loading VERY Slowly

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=45292

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

A Zone Alarm database reset may be needed to fix things. Just do this:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

(How to get into the safe mode)

After the reboot, just set the new network found as Trusted.

Then to make sure the ZA is setup for the best or optimal performance with the least issues.
    Please do this or make sure it has been done:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.
    6. Now reboot the PC.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

After that, I assume you are using IE, then open the Zone Alarm, and make sure the IE has three green bars and has three green checks, one Ask and one green check ( going from left to right horizontally across). Now right click the IE and open the Options. Now check the first two items listed. Now reboot.

After the reboot, clean out all of the old IE files in it's cache and now try it (assuming the Privacy is still off) and it should work Ok.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rstewartxx Guest

Greb49er, SlyFox, Oldsod

Thanks. It is working better for the most part, but still hangs in a few circumstances. I haven't tried to purchase anything yet, but if that works the next time I try it, then I can live with the rest.

What I've done was to edit everything in the site list that has anything to do with ebay, and unclicked everything except 3rd part cookies. If I still have a problem when I go to make a purchase, I'll take your suggestion about booting into safe mode, etc. and see what that gets me.

But for now, thanks much!

Rick...

rstewartxx Guest

Greb49er, SlyFox, Oldsod

Thanks. It is working better for the most part, but still hangs in a few circumstances. I haven't tried to purchase anything yet, but if that works the next time I try it, then I can live with the rest.

What I've done was to edit everything in the site list that has anything to do with ebay, and unclicked everything except 3rd part cookies. If I still have a problem when I go to make a purchase, I'll take your suggestion about booting into safe mode, etc. and see what that gets me.

But for now, thanks much!

Rick...

oops, sorry for the double post, but I put it in the wrong place the first time...

Thread Information