Thread: Zone alarm tech support is disappointing to say the least.

womanamrine Guest

Default Zone alarm tech support is disappointing to say the least.

I have been a zone alarm user for years. All of a sudden, a conflict between zone alarm and two other programs that I also have faithfully used. One, Perfect Disk, has been mentioned on this forum. I contacted Tech Support after Perfect Disk told me to try uninstalling zone alarm. It worked. I tried installing the free version of zone alarm. Same problem.

My responses from zone alarm tech support are, at best, condescending. They claim to already have investigated and found they are not the cause. Funny, because I downloaded an old version of zone alarm, which works fine with the other programs. So, you tell me what program changed the way it operates. Doesn't take a computer tech, it takes common sense.

While polite, tech support basically denied that they could possibly be the cause of the problem. The program on my computer that changed most recently was zone alarm and that's when the problem started. Perfect disk doesn't need access to the internet to defrag my drives, so the first response from tech support was an implication that I didn't know how to configure zone alarm to work. Not the case, never has been. I have never been here because I have never had a problem.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

bannor Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm tech support is disappointing to say the least.

womanamrine

I sympathize with you completely! I remember reading a posting on this forum somewhere where a Guru alleged that the reason many users do not report problems to Tech Support is because they are using illegal (unlicensed) copies of the software. While this may be true in some cases, my reasons for not using Tech Support are pretty much to avoid getting responses from them such as yours. Unfortunately, with many companies (not only Zone Labs), if there is a situation where Company A produces Program A, and it conflicts with Program B from Company B, Company A will always tell you that to resolve your problem you must uninstall Program B, and Company B will tell you to remove Program A. It is an 'easy way out' for both companies to use this excuse, and while it does end the conflict, it does NOT help the user in any manner whatsoever, because the user is mostly in no position to judge either company or program. So I tend to use forums such as this for all Tech-related problems I may have.

Getting on to your particular problem, I don't want to make any recommendations due to the fact that A) I am only an average user (of ZAISS, not Pro), and not a Guru, and B) you have not specified which versions of the programs you have installed, and C) you failed to give any details of the nature of the conflict you are experiencing. One of the programs you stated as giving conflicts (you mentioned a conflict between ZAP and TWO other programs) you didn't even name - this makes it rather difficult for even a Guru to make suggestions that may help you.

Of interest may be the fact that I am running ZAISS 7.0.408.000 AND Perfect Disk 8.0 on my system without conflicts.

If you merely wanted to express your frustration with Tech Support, again you are out of luck. Zone Labs provide this forum - but do not read any of the posts, nor do they moderate them. They will never read your message. All the people here are just users, like yourself. You may get sympathy here, but without more details it's almost impossible to give you any meaningful assistance.

Bannor

Message Edited by Bannor on 10-14-2007 10:23 PM

womanamrine Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm tech support is disappointing to say the least.

Bannor:

The other program is Norton Systemworks, the defragging part (speed disk). Since I don't use it to defrag, it didn't seem important. It seems strange to me that it only affects defragging the computer. I use Perfect Disk because I prefer that to the Norton defrag.

My post here wasn't to get tech support's attention, although that would be good, I'm sure it wouldn't change their attitude. I've been using these programs without conflict, until the update to Zone Alarm. I'm smart enough to know what that means. Going back to an older version seems to have "solved" the conflict. The fact that it's documented and zone alarm denies it's the problem when it's the only program that changed is to imply that I don't know any better. Wrong.

I posted here wondering if anyone on the list had figured out another workaround, and of course, to air my dissatisfaction with tech support's attitude. Also to let folks know of a workaround that has worked for me. I was not the only one with this problem.

Perfect disk tech support was polite, listened to me and responded to what I wrote without any implication that I didn't know what I was doing and appears to be honest. They pointed out that the problem has been reported to them and that they have attempted to work with zone alarm. They also pointed me to a number of resources showing that others had the same problem. They don't state the results of that attempt, just that they have.

At this point, I don't hold out hope that zone alarm will investigate the problem, nor work with perfect disk

I do thank you very much for reading my post and your thoughtful reply!!

Thread Information