Thread: Zonealarm intermittently taking window focus away from other open program

ozbluenose Guest

Default Zonealarm intermittently taking window focus away from other open program

Hello everyone.

I've recently installed Zonealarm Internet Security version 7 on my Windows XP Pro system. I have noticed in the last few days that my work is often interrupted when I am typing into Microsoft Word by the window appearing to losing its focus; that is, it's as though another program window were made active instead of Word. I am typing away and all of a sudden my words stop going into the document. The focus isn't returned automatically.

Today, I tried doing an ALT-TAB switch when it happened and noticed Zonealarm was active - the Zonealarm system area icon also showed its downloading update arrow. Only Microsoft Word was active at the time.

I can't see any settings in Zonealarm for this and it seems like a program bug to me. Any ideas? It's really frustrating after a while.

Regards,
    Daren.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

nelsonhf Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm intermittently taking window focus away from other open program

Second that. It is especially annoying if you are playing a game (in my case, C&C 3) and the focus goes out of the game and into the desktop.

This has bugged me for months and I found no way (short of setting the updates to "manual", which is risky, if you forget to set them back to "auto&quot.

blainer Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm intermittently taking window focus away from other open program

You can right click the ZA icon in the system tray, pick Game Mode.. and then choose one of the two options. I usually choose Deny. Leave that window open while playing, and ZA will no longer run updates (which is causing the loss of focus) while you play your game. Just close the window after to turn off Game Mode.

wiiiindy Guest

I theorized that programs that change task tray icons might cause the loss of focus behavior which I see only in games that want complete control of the screen.
    So I killed those programs before launching the game and the frequency of focus loss seemed to decrease but not to zero.
    Now I play it safe and close those programs AND set ZA to "Stop All Internet Activity".

That does the trick.
    Of course I don't play online games - I am sure the game mode would work better for that.

Thread Information