Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZAISS 7 alerts me that Word 2003 with SP3 is trying to access the internet.

wstern Guest

Default ZAISS 7 alerts me that Word 2003 with SP3 is trying to access the internet.

Hi,

I've been using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, Visio) with ZAISS 7 for a long time.

I recently installed the Microsoft Service Pack 3 for Office 2003.

Now, whenever I go into Microsoft Word, ZAISS 7 is alerting me that Word is trying to access the internet.
    I've carefully gone through all the options in Word, and turned off all options that give Word permission to
    go to the internet for updates, or to participate in any Microsoft software improvement programs.

Whenever I startup Word 2003, ZAISS 7 is correctly telling me that Word is trying to access the internet.

The question is why is Word trying to access the internet after I installed Office 2003 Service Pack 3.

Is this a hidden WGA or secret extra baggage that Microsoft has included in SP3?

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZAISS 7 alerts me that Word 2003 with SP3 is trying to access the internet.

Wstern, if I don't forget, I'll check at home. Almost every M$ messing with office applications does this sort of thing (plus they often clear excel addins and other nice things like that).
    It's most likely the Help thing, the searching part. It was so in Excel. They revert the default to go out for help. There's a setting there to never go out to the internet and just use the local, built in, help. Finding it is a pain, but it's normally there. If you've already shut that pest off, then I don't know, yeah, might be new MS$ spyware of sorts.

wstern Guest

Default Re: ZAISS 7 alerts me that Word 2003 with SP3 is trying to access the internet.

Hi Zasuiteuser,

Thanks - The "Going out to the internet when you startup Microsoft Word" issue
    only occurs with Office 2003 SP3, and only with Word (Not Excel, Powerpoint, Access or Outlook). Only with Word.

If you have Office 2003 SP3, please make sure Word has "?" in ZAISS 7 Program Control tab.
    Then open Word, and notice if ZAISS 7 warns that Word is trying to reach the internet.

Thanks,

Bill

zaswing Guest

Wstern,
    xp home sp2, office 2003, SP3 is just few days old.
    ZA: version 6.1 (sorry). Program control medium (for now), smart defense - manual, 2 MS help programs and excel, access, word, powerpoint are all blue question marks.

Excel, like you say, is ok. But my notes indicate it wanted out to 204.245.162.27 while the online help had "show contents and links" checked (even though before SP3 I've unchecked it, I HATE IT when they change MY SETTINGS). Once shut off, there are no alerts or notices, it stays home.

Word, indeed was goofy and took me by surprise as well, since I was so sure the solution I did in Excel would apply, but it was not sufficient. ZA blocked its attempt to go out to 204.245.162.11. So I reviewed their desire to get me out to the internet.

At the bottom of their Help options selection is "See Also" section. There, under Services options, I've just shut off all the checks and options to go out to something called SharePoint server. I closed Word, restarted it, and it was quiet. I then rebooted, and Word and ZA are still quiet. So maybe it's been contained

I don't use Word that much. Perhaps that feature was there always but I don't recall ever getting alerts or blocks.
    This might be related to M$ wanting Word with SP3 to be able to read/use Office 2007 files. Just a guess. To me it's an unnecessary attempt at connection. And I will be watching Access, because I have a strange feeling they've pulled this trick there too even though you haven't seen it yet.

Not a word about any of this in their official description of issues with SP3 (if you can wade through it)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923618

Hmm, here's more than I'm willing to read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso..._Portal_Server

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 10-03-2007 09:30 PM

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

I didn't see a services option under "help, See Also" (at right side of screen).
    But I did find a services option under tools, options, general tab, and I disabled all Sharepoint, customer improvement program, etc.
    I closed and restarted Word. But I still get those alerts from ZAISS 7 about Word wanting to go out to the internet.

If you think I might be missing something obvious, please let me know.
    These alerts worry me that there is some hidden baggage with SP3 for Office 2003.

Bill

zaswing Guest

To continue comparing notes, OT by now,
    Funny thing is, I do not see your method "under tools, options, general tab"

I guess I didn t word my settings clearly. I did not work through Tools > Options. But through the Help menu. Let's try again:
    Main menu, Help > Microsoft Office word help
    click on See also > Online Content Settings
    Customer feedbak options > nothing checked
    On LineContent options nothing checked
    Shared contents option > shared workspace all unchecked, and two NEVERs for updates.

Not a peep from ZA. Word is not going anywhere.

When Word was still trying to get out yesteday, I wasn t really getting alerts, just a yellow report that ZA blocked a trip to the internet to the ip address I listed before. That might be due to my DNS ips in the trusted zone, where only the two OpenDNS servers are listed. Not sure. If you re lucky, Guru will pitch in to explain.

From ZA log yesterday
    FWOUT,2007/10/03,20:01:26 -4:00 GMT,192.168.1.111:1108,204.245.162.27:80,TCP (flags:S)
    FWOUT,2007/10/03,20:07:12 -4:00 GMT,192.168.1.111:1193,204.245.162.11:80,TCP (flags:S)
    FWOUT,2007/10/03,20:35:26 -4:00 GMT,192.168.1.111:1546,204.245.162.27:80,TCP (flags:S)
    FWOUT,2007/10/03,20:37:52 -4:00 GMT,192.168.1.111:1549,204.245.162.11:80,TCP (flags:S)

Nothing so far for today and Word is open just to see some events.
    It might be that v7 of ZASS sees something more than v6.
    I can't make any sense out of the ip address because when I checked it earlier it said it was some NTT... server, and when I use another search it says it's
    Lookup IP Address: 204.245.162.11
    Lookup Hostname: a204-245-162-11.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com, which is ZA updates or maybe Smart defense.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 10-04-2007 08:47 PM

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

The reason for the different menu's might be that we have different versions of Office 2003 SP3.
    I have the Professional version. You might have the Premium or Standard version.

Even though I went through the Tools menu option, and you went through help menu instead,
    we both ended up in exactly the same place and we both chose the same options:

Customer feedback options > nothing checked
    On Line Content options nothing checked
    Shared contents option > shared workspace all unchecked, and two Never items checked.

About 2 seconds after I click on the MS Word icon on my desktop to startup Microsoft Word,
    ZAISS 7 is still alerting me that MS Word is trying to access the internet.
    So, I'm using ZA's Program Control to permanently block Microsoft Word from having any internet access.

I've also noticed that other companies are resorting to this "No turnoff by user allowed"
    including Roxio 8, WinDVD Platinum, Google Taskbar, McAfee Site Advisor.
    I've had to use ZAISS to block them too. Its a troubling trend where these programs use your internet
    connection without your permission.

I will continue doing web searches concerning the MS Word's stealth internet access, and I'll let you know
    if I find out anything new.

Bill

Message Edited by wstern on 10-04-2007 09:44 PM

zaswing Guest

Wstern,
    My Office 2003 is standard. Not student, pro or premium. I'd think that if your settings are the same, it should work and be quiet. And yes, before the changes, the outbound was when I clicked Word or any .doc. Just on startup of Word.Some other things must play a role, but I have no idea which. Few things come to mind:
    - My Windows Security center (red/yellow shield in the system tray) is set to NOT notify if firewall or AV is missing (but genuine advantage still wants to read/modify memory according to the ZA alert, so I have to deny on every bootup).
    - Also Automatic updates are off, not even notify, though I might begin using notify again since, apparently M$ fixed the svchost delays on startup.
    - In services, Automatic updates and Background intelligent transfers are disabled.
    - I do have a LAN and file sharing allowed. But no remote desktop, nor VPN at this time.
    - Perhaps it's related to Windows Explorer which has to give you open/save options in Word. Do you allow it to browse through internet files? I don't.
    Please, post back if you dig out anything.And yes, I think the trend is for constant communication-out of many things. Web applications are just around the corner, I wonder if there'll even be a "stay at home" state in a few years.

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

Thanks for the detailed suggestions - I'm looking into them.

I have Windows Security Center turned off, and Windows WGA was never installed.

I'm debating whether to uninstall Office 2003 SP3, and go back to the safer SP2,
    which doesn't do outbound internet communication without my permission.

I'm going to do some more digging on google on this issue, and I'll definately post back
    if I find out new information.

Bill

wstern Guest

Hi Zasuiteuser,

I tried to uninstall Microsft Office 2003 SP3. I just learned that SP3, or any Office Service Pack for that matter, can never be uninstalled:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873125

Microsoft's only advice is to completely uninstall Office, then reinstall Office, install SP2, and manually install all of the updates after SP2,
    and manually reinstall all the addons.

I've also read that SP3 has a list of caveats that were not a problem in SP2.
    One of these affects me, as they disabled a lot of older file formats. To turn them back on, you need to make alot of registry changes.
    They could have at least provided a registry script.

I'm seriously considering reinstalling Office, then SP2, then updates after SP2, then freezing Office 2003 SP2 with no more updates.

Bill

Message Edited by wstern on 10-05-2007 11:38 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information