Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE Crash Detection

dobergirl Guest

Default IE Crash Detection

I have been experiencing my browser crashing on load up and from your advice here you say to install IE7 to solve it.
    Two issues, I can't stay on the browser long enough to install anything before
    it crashes (I'm obviously using another pc now)
    and the other is I loathe IE7.
    The interface is awful so I rolled it back to IE6.
    I suppose there's no other option but to use IE7, like it or not?

But assuming there s no choice, how do I install it if I can't stay on?

By the way, I ran a deep registry scan 6 times with the reg scan software I bought from ZA but it did nothing to help that, tho it did remove some infections, no viruses tho.
    The usual stuff.
    Then I ran Adaware but none of that helped either.

What do you suggest?

Thank you much.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: IE Crash Detection

Dear dobergirl:

Have you tried using Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, to uninstall IE6 and then reinstall from the same location? IE6 should be the 4th item down on the list. Uncheck it, then click Next and the operating system will uninstall it. Then reboot, go back into Add/Remove Windows Components and check the entry and click Next to reinstall it. If malware has infected IE6's Registry entries, this procedure may not work because your Registry has been altered by the malware. Once place to check is HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Also, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Certain data values are changed here by malware to redirect browsers elsewhere. It helps to have another computer that isn't having the problem with IE6 and then you can compare the entries.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

dobergirl Guest

Your're brilliant WATCHER!
    I uninstalled/installed and so far total success!!!!Thank you sooooo much!Best wishes,Dobergirl

dobergirl Guest

Hi Watcher,Well, too good to be true, I guess.
    After working on the browser for a couple hours it crashed again, with same IE crash detection message.
    I followed your advice again, twice, rebooting between each task, but still happening.
    I am actually online to you now with it in mid-crash, in other words the Internet Explorer has encountered a problem, etc box is up, but I'm still typing.
    Don't want to click out of it just yet if I can help it.
    Qucikly, what did you mean check: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Also, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main?Where do I check those and what do I do then?Sned this before I can't. Help!

watcher Guest

Dear dobergirl:

Those are Registry subkeys which you can view using the Windows Registry Editor, aka regedit. Again, as I stated in my last post, you would need to know how to use Regedit, be familiar with these subkeys, and have another computer close by, such as a laptop with the same operating system, to see what, if any, changes had been made here. Can you send me verbatim what the error message was?

WATCHER

dobergirl Guest

I'm going to lose this connection in a sec. Here's a highjacthis log of my pc.
    Hope it tells you something. Thansk a bunch.Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 09:19:42, on 27/10/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
    C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProcess .exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProcess .exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.ex e
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exeR1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en/default.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.actorsontheweb.com/lesearchers.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =http://uk.red.clientapps.yahoo.com/c...o/bt_side.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;*.local
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: ContributeBHO Class - {074C1DC5-9320-4A9A-947D-C042949C6216} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/AdobeContribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: SpywareGuardDLBLOCK.CBrowserHelper - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\ProgramFiles\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\programfiles\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\ProgramFiles\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.6 15.5858\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Contribute Toolbar - {517BDDE4-E3A7-4570-B21E-2B52B6139FC7} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/AdobeContribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\AdobeGamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe GammaLoader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: BT Yahoo! Help.lnk = C:\Program Files\BT Yahoo! Help\bin\matcli.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk =C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_SRCV 02.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Google Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\ProgramFiles\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\ProgramFiles\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) -http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) -http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S...in/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) -http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) -http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1124544550031
    O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) -http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/pro...tor/WebAAS.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) -http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
    O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) -http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/...ampx_en_dl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {FE5B9F54-7764-4C01-89F0-4862601EE954} (DigWebHelper Class) -http://photos.msn.co.uk/resources/ne...cab?10,0,910,0
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile DeviceSupport\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762# # (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc.- C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\MacrovisionShared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\GoogleUpdater\GoogleUpdaterSer vice.exe
    O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC -C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\ProgramFiles\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

watcher Guest

Dear dobergirl:

I needed to know about what error message, if any, that IE generated when it crashed. I'm not an expert in malware removal, but I can tell you from your running processes list that you have a LOT of processes running that don't need to be there, autostarting from both the Registry Run subkeys and from Services. Your system is wasting a lot of RAM running these processes from the moment your computer boots up.

There are 2 programs I would recommend uninstalling: Google Toolbar and SpywareGuard. Google Toolbar has been associated with many privacy issues and SpywareGuard appears to be another subpar antispyware program based on examination of their website and screenshots of the actual program. In fact, I've never heard of the program before today and I've tested many antispyware programs this year.
    If you want a good antispyware program, I would recommend Spy Sweeper by Webroot. You can download a fully-functional trial version(15 days) from here:

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/prod...r/latestv.html

I would remove the 2 programs listed above first and then download and install Spy Sweeper and run a Full Sweep on your system and see what shows up. I prefer commercial antispyware programs over free ones as they are have been shown to be better in spyware detection and removal than the free ones.

As for your HJT log above, you can send it one of the forums listed near the bottom of the following webpage to see if they can help. From seeing previous posts at our Zone Labs forum, I've seen recommendations for using Bleeping Computer and CastleCops:

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

dobergirl Guest

Hi Watcher,Ok, I am keeping all your advice, but somehow it seems to have fixed itself, finally, as these things have a habit of doing - though you can't rely on it.
    I'm wondering if it's not because every time the Windows box came up saying 'Sorry you were in the middle etc...we'll have to close etc-' and it asks if you want to send a report, I said yes and
    did, most ever time.
    So maybe something was done to fix it. I don't know, probably guessing.
    So thank you for all your help.
    I will get rid of those programs and maybe do a sweep with the program you mentioned.
    Really appreciate everything.Best wishes,dobergirl

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dobergirl wrote:
    Hi Watcher,Ok, I am keeping all your advice, but somehow it seems to have fixed itself, finally, as these things have a habit of doing - though you can't rely on it. I'm wondering if it's not because every time the Windows box came up saying 'Sorry you were in the middle etc...we'll have to close etc-' and it asks if you want to send a report, I said yes anddid, most ever time. So maybe something was done to fix it. I don't know, probably guessing.So thank you for all your help. I will get rid of those programs and maybe do a sweep with the program you mentioned.Really appreciate everything.Best wishes,dobergirl
    <HR>I'm Glad that IE is now behaving itself for you now!Here is a Forum Link from the Helpful Links and Tips Section, just in case IE Acts up again..</BLOCKQUOTE>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dobergirl Guest

Thank you GeorgeVIt's happening again - of course!
    I checked the Zone Alarm bits you mentioned, unfortunately Internet Explorer was already as you suggested I make it except the Send Mail box. That was a ? I think. I changed it to a green check but
    the browser still crashes.It throws up the IE Crash Detection... boxthen the Internet Explorer has encountered a problem... box
    I

started to change the other sections in ZA you mentioned, some of those were not checked with green marks,
    but wanted to make sure I understand you correctly that the following
    should
    all have green checks

b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights

c.) IE Crash Detection

d.) Internet Explorer

e.) Malicious Software Removal Tool

f.) True Vector Service
    (If it is listed)

g.) Zone Alarm Client

h.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    Should I change all those?

I'm just worried this isn't
    making the slightest
    bit of difference.
    As for the suggestion from
    Watcher before, I am unable to uninstall SpywareGuard, which someone on another forum told me to install, so needless to say I'm not happy.
    It's difficult when you have to trust what people tell you to do, you just hope it isn't adding insult to injury.
    Hopefully you can help me sort this out.
    The computer/internet is my livelihood and it ain't working.
    I have to say that I've had a lot of trouble and many times it turned out to be a setting in Zone Alarm but took days of sorting to put right.
    I'm wondering if I should switch to another anti-virus program.
    Please help. Thanksdobergirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information