Thread: Windows update made to work, but unsure of what _should_ be in trusted zone.

rogerval Guest

Default Windows update made to work, but unsure of what _should_ be in trusted zone.

Hello all,I had all sorts of trouble getting Windows Automatic Update (not the browser based version) to work with free ZoneAlarm (version 7.337 I _think_; two versions before the current version, of which more later! :-) )I looked at and tried putting various "microsoft.update" type entries (I can't remember the actual web addresses - sorry!) in the trusted zone as suggested by other posts, but this wouldn't work. It wasn't until I'd put my wireless adsl modem - router IP into the trusted zone that Windows Update would work.As far as I know, this router has it's own firewall, and uses network address translation, but I'm not sure if I've created an unnecessary risk by putting it into the trusted zone.Does anyone have any advice regarding this risk, or should this be ok to do?Thanks in advance,Kind regards,Roger.
    (PS: the current version of free Zone Alarm and the version before it both crash my computer, with multiple_irp_requests being reported to the blue screen. I haven't analysed any crash dumps to see what other drivers are involved; I'll just keep using my slightly older version of ZoneAlarm for the moment.)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Windows update made to work, but unsure of what _should_ be in trusted zone.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>rogerval wrote:
    Hello all,I had all sorts of trouble getting Windows Automatic Update (not the browser based version) to work with free ZoneAlarm (version 7.337 I _think_; two versions before the current version, of which more later! :-) )I looked at and tried putting various "microsoft.update" type entries (I can't remember the actual web addresses - sorry!) in the trusted zone as suggested by other posts, but this wouldn't work. It wasn't until I'd put my wireless adsl modem - router IP into the trusted zone that Windows Update would work.As far as I know, this router has it's own firewall, and uses network address translation, but I'm not sure if I've created an unnecessary risk by putting it into the trusted zone.Does anyone have any advice regarding this risk, or should this be ok to do?Thanks in advance,Kind regards,Roger.(PS: the current version of free Zone Alarm and the version before it both crash my computer, with multiple_irp_requests being reported to the blue screen. I haven't analysed any crash dumps to see what other drivers are involved; I'll just keep using my slightly older version of ZoneAlarm for the moment.)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..Double Left Click on the Zone Alarm icon in your System tray will display the main menu of Zone AlarmOn the Left side are your Options for Control and Configuring Zone Alarm..Just to the right of those Options is a brief description of each Option,and if you click on an option on the left, the description of that option will change to fit that option..You might benefit from reading these descriptions..anytime that you Allow or deny access to a Program or function that ZA pops-up an Alert,That information is stored in the "PROGRAM CONTROL" Option under the "Program" tabClick on Program Control, this will display a new page, at the TOP of that page Click the "Program" tabThat will open a new page.. on the left is the names of the files and programs being controlled..Look down the list for.. Internet Explorer..in the "Trusted Level" Column of Internet Explorer LEFT Click and Click on SUPER, this will place 3 Green Bars in that ColumnThe next Column is "ACCESS" Left Click in that Column and change Red X's to Green Check marks for "Trusted" and "Internet" accessChange all other Marks on that Line to "?" Question Marks for Ask..Now you should not have anymore problem with MS IE or any other program listed in Program Control.. Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rightsc.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorere.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..To get out of the ZA Menu Display Look at the TOP far Right corner there is a Small X, click on that X to turn OFF the ZA Menu..and you all set to Go..One more thing why I got your attention..On the ZA Menu near the Bottom Left..is the Privacy Option that controls The "Site List" of places that you have visited with MS IE..If you have a problem accessing a Web Site, it may be because the Listing for that web Site is Listed in thePrivacy (Site List) and is trying to protect you from yourself..If you need to gain more Access to that Web Site this is one place were you Look..Click on the Privacy Tab, then Click on Site-list, then look down the list for the Web-site name,Right Click on the web-site name or address and click on "Options" a new window opens with three columns, Cookies, Ad-Blocking and Mobile Codes.. click on Reset to Default and click on Apply for each of the three columns, then clock OK..---------------------------------------

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rogerval Guest

Default Re: Windows update made to work, but unsure of what _should_ be in trusted zone.

Hi George,
    Thanks for your reply. I've been using various versions ZoneAlarm for a few years now, and generally I like it, and I'm familiar with the process of allowing appropriate programs to have access and server rights.
    I'm currently using ZoneAlarm Free version 7.0.337.000 because the latest version causes my computer to crash with the message &quot;Multiple_IRP_Requests&quot; whenever I insert a DVD re-writable disk in the burner. (I haven't tried it again and analysed the crash dump file with the Windows debugging utility, as I said in my last post; I dislike intentionally triggering the Blue Screen of Death in case I damage the file system. (I have also noticed that there's a beta version available for testing, but I'm reluctant to try it as I don't have a &quot;testing&quot; computer to install it on.)
    I didn't get the version number quite right in my original post; sorry! At least I got the 337 bit correct.
    This free version I'm using doesn't have a column marked &quot;Trusted Level&quot; (or a &quot;Privacy Option&quot; for that matter), but it does have the other two columns (&quot;Access&quot; and &quot;Server&quot.
    I have various programs including Internet Explorer, svchost.exe, Outlook, etc configured to allow access rights and server rights as appropriate. The rest are set to &quot;ask&quot; and if one of them causes a pop up to appear (eg: &quot;Ntpd.exe wants to access the Internet&quot; ) I let them, as long as it's only a program I'm familiar with. (I'm aware of the danger of malware trying to fool me into allowing access, and I have good antivirus protection, NOD32, to help stop that nonsense. :8} )For the time being, I'm going to further investigate my adsl modem-router to make certain that it's firewall is turned on; I think it's on by default, but it's nice to be certain about these things. :8}By the way, when I was referring to putting the modem-router into the &quot;trusted zone&quot;, I was referring to the Firewall - Zones setup section of ZA; I've created a zone called &quot;Home network&quot; with an IP range to cover both computers and the modem router, and they're all in the &quot;trusted zone&quot;.Thanks for your help, George, and I look forward to hearing from you again.Kind regards,Roger V.

rogerval Guest

Hello again, George,I just used the &quot;Shields UP!&quot; tests at www.grc.com (Steve Gibson's website) to probe my computer both with ZoneAlarm enabled, and disabled, and the results were the same both times: only port 1050, the
    Corba management agent was open
    ( and I intend to investigate this later)
    and the rest were &quot;stealthed&quot;, so it appears that my adsl modem-router has it's firewall turned on. Obviously I still need ZoneAlarm to prevent nasty programs from accessing the internet without my knowledge, but it's nice to know the router's firewall is up and running.Kind regards,Roger V

Thread Information