Thread: Update is running?

ksalzberg Guest

Default Update is running?

for about an hour, so far, this morning, the ZA icon in the tray has had a white arrow on it, indicating (and when one puts the cursor over it, saying) an update is running. There is no traffic (when I'm not doing something on the internet), and there's no Harddrive activity (when I'm not doing something else). zlclient.exe isn't taking any cpu cycles. So what is going on? Should I do something about this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ksalzberg Guest

Default Re: Update is running?

So I restarted my computer, and a ZA "update progress" screen showed up that said "Task Finished" and the box showed "system" with a red exclamation icon. Update is no longer running. What's that all about? Should there have been a notice to me to restart my computer to finish the update? Is there a problem indicated by the red exclamation icon? The help file is not of much use - but some worry: it indicates that the update in progress arrow is for updates of definitions, not of the system.

ksalzberg Guest

It happened again today, but this time, when I rebooted, it didn't tell me that the update had finished. In fact nothing happened at all except that the icon in the tray was back to the normal one, without the white arrow. I still don't know what is/was going on.

finalheaven Guest

I have this same issue. I guess there's no support whatsoever for ZA products. Last time I pay for my ZA Pro. It's like you buy it and then you're on your own. Very courtesy.

sdmaley Guest

I too found that reboot seems to be the only resolution (though there is no message from ZAP 6.5.737.0, after the reboot).Tried to Shutdown ZAP, but it refuses, complaining "Please close all dialogs before shutting down".If there are any dialogs, they must be unmentionable, because they aren't visible...

braciszek Guest

What antivirus program You have?

tacpow Guest

It appears that ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0 has some frustrating new bugs.

One minor irratant is the freezing of outlook during send and receive operations.
    This Outlook freeze up lasts 10 - 30 seconds on my system.
    The "Update is running" bug is more frustrating and causes your internet access to bottleneck and Outlook to totally freeze during updates.
    These "Update is running" freeze ups can last several minutes to several hours.
    Some have reported the prolems lasting days.

The only fix appears to be CTRL ALT DEL and rebooting.
    Then
    disabling the
    auto update (not very secure if you ask me, but frozen computer syndrome is even less acceptable).

I gotta believe Zonelabs is aware of this Bug since the default settings have auto-update turned off.

Sad Sad Sad.

tacpow Guest

It appears that ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0 has some frustrating new bugs.

One minor irratant is the freezing of outlook during send and receive operations.
    This Outlook freeze up lasts 10 - 30 seconds on my system.
    The "Update is running" bug is more frustrating and causes your internet access to bottleneck and Outlook to totally freeze during updates.
    These "Update is running" freeze ups can last several minutes to several hours.
    Some have reported the problems lasting days.

The only fix appears to be CTRL ALT DEL and rebooting.
    Then
    disabling the
    auto update (not very secure if you ask me, but frozen computer syndrome is even less acceptable).

I gotta believe Zonelabs is aware of this Bug since the default settings have auto-update turned off (even though ZL recommends having it on).

Very
    odd and very
    Sad Sad Sad.

Message Edited by tacpow on 07-26-2007 10:33 AM

jlmwrite Guest

Using ZASS 7.1, and the "update is running" message has been on for several days, and through at least three reboots (one specifically to try and get rid of the message.

Yep, it would appear that ZA halcyon days are at an end. Too many frustrating bugs on my Vista systems here at home and a surprising lack of help from the ZL tech support team/ I've even uninstalled ZA on two of our home systems. I won't be renewing my subscription next year unless ZL makes some major improvements.

Thread Information